The staff of The Center For Student Engagement is pleased to be able to provide you with the use of a vehicle to help you get to and from your volunteer placements. We feel that the experiences you gain while at your placement will provide you with valuable skills and knowledge, while contributing to the common good of the community. Priority will be given to students first, who are participating in service and community engagement activities. To maintain the integrity of the vehicles and our community service programs, we need to remind you of the policies and procedures that must be adhered to.
Vehicle Reservation Policies and Procedures:
- On-line Reservations must be made 48 hours in advance.
- Drivers must be 21 years or older and hold a valid driver's license.
- You must submit your license and social security number to Sara Tuggle (ext. 4020) at the Service Center, which is located on Hill St. and Blackstock, to have your driving record checked. No one with a moving violation on their driving record will be allowed to drive vehicles.
- Drivers must also complete DePauw's Driver Safety Program prior to reserving a vehicle. This training session is held every Sunday at 8pm in the Office of Public Safety, room 200 in the Union Building. The training will take approximately 2 hours. For questions regarding training, please call ext. 4261. This is a one-time requirement, and students do not have to repeat the process annually.
- Vehicle keys should be picked up and dropped off at the Hartman Student Leader Office in the lobby of the Union Building.
- All vehicles can be reserved utilizing the on-line vehicle calendar link at the bottom of the page.
- Click on one of the three vehicles you want to reserve (Caviler, Escort, or Mini Van) and you will be able to view the appointment slots for each vehicle.
- Choose the day and time you would like to reserve the vehicle and include your name on the form.
When you pick up the keys from the Hartman Student Leader Office, they will verify your name, vehicle choice and return time. All three vehicles are located in the front part of the Hannah Street parking lot, next to the Women’s Center.
When you return the car:
Return the car at the time scheduled to the Hannah Street parking lot, in one of the three designated spots. If the parking spots have been taken, please park the vehicle in the Anderson Street lot instead of somewhere else on campus. If this occurs, make sure to tell dispatch in Public Safety that someone will need to return the car to the Hannah Street lot. Clean all trash and personal items out of the car.
If the car needs gas, please fill it up at the University Service Center (near Hill Street and Blackstock), charge it to the Hartman Center/Bonner Scholars and return the receipt to Chris Klinger, in the Bonner Scholar Program at the Union building. Please make sure to avoid using your own money to fill the car with gas. Please report any mechanical problems, accidents or neglect/abuse of the vehicle immediately. We make every effort to ensure all of the vehicles are in good working condition, but sometimes the unexpected can occur.
If you are involved in an accident:
- Insurance information and registration are in the glove box of each vehicle.
- NEVER leave the scene of an accident no matter which party is at fault. Refer to the insurance packet in the glove box for procedures in case of an accident. You should make every attempt to contact the local law enforcement agency as soon as possible.
- Call and notify the Office of Public Safety immediately 658-4261
If you are eligible to drive, click on the vehicle below you would like to reserve: