Dr. Ralph Carl Summer Scholarship
The Ralph Carl Scholarship fund is designed to support DePauw students working on summer projects related to community engagement. These funds provide support for summer scholarship programs at the Grover Hartman Center.
APPLICATIONS ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED FOR SUMMER 2012
Working with a community partner or civic organization during the summer months is an opportunity to experience an important aspect of community and civic engagement and to learn about a community and its needs. Projects funded by the Ralph Carl Scholarship Fund require the pursuit of significant learning and should not duplicate on-campus courses, previous study or service projects, or replicate summer job experiences. By working closely with a faculty member as the project advisor, students will receive guidance and feedback both during the proposal stage and the actual experience. Students who receive a grant from the Ralph Carl Scholarship Fund will be expected to report on their experiences to the DePauw community upon their return; grants are limited, therefore, to returning students only.
Example activities might include:
- A summer community research project-- jointly with a faculty member or independently with faculty supervision, either on- or off-campus.
- A summer community service project with a host partner, either locally or outside of Greencastle.
- A summer community internship (credit-bearing from another institution or not credit-bearing), geared to address issues of community development and change.
- Other community activities that have well-defined and well-articulated learning (for the student) and development (for the community) outcomes.
Financial support can be awarded for the following types of expenses:
- Transport to, and accommodations at, the activity site not in a student's home area (Note: funds cannot be used to work from home)
- Tuition and fees associated with established programs
- Supplies or materials associated with research projects
Keep in mind the following as you develop your project proposal:
- The project must involve 35-40 hours of work per week and last a minimum of six weeks
- The project must include a reflection component
- The project must have the endorsement of a DePauw faculty member
- The project must have well defined learning objectives
- The project must benefit both the student and the community
- You may not repeat a summer job or previous independent or service project, and you may not duplicate material from a course offered at DePauw
- You may not change or substitute projects after the application date without official approval from your project advisor and Civic, Global & Professional Opportunities
Note: FOR YOUR ANSWERS TO BE SAVED, YOU MUST ENTER SOMETHING INTO ALL REQUIRED FIELDS AND PRESS THE SUBMIT BUTTON AT THE VERY END OF THE APPLICATION. We recommend you review the PDF copy of the application on the Dr. Ralph Carl Summer Scholarship website so you know what you are expected to write. We also recommend you draft your responses in a Word document, then copy and paste the information into the application.