Welcome to the Psychology Research Participation System (PRePS)
There is a research participation requirement for all Introductory Psychology courses.
The requirement is designed to provide students with direct experience with research in psychology. Students may do a combination of three options: participate in research studies (must be at least 18 years of age to participate), complete a published article assignment, or attend a psychology speaker presentation.
Students use the PRePS system to check current studies and to sign up for the research participation, as well as to check their progress towards completion of the requirement.
Login and Research Credit Information for PRePS and Moodle
Guidelines for Signing up for Psychology Research Participation through PRePS
1. The web address is: http://depauw.sona-systems.com
2. Enter the User ID and Password that was emailed to you. If you have lost this information then click on “Forgot Password?” and enter your username: youremailname_year (do not add @depauw.edu). If you never received your username and password then e-mail Amber Taylor, the coordinator of the research system, at email@example.com.
3. To see what studies are available and/or to sign up for participation, click on “Study Sign-Up.”
4. A list of studies will show up on the screen. Clicking on either the title of the study or on “Timeslots Available” will give you the same information: a description of the research, the persons conducting the research, the principal investigator, the duration of the study, and the number of units of credits you will receive. At the bottom of this page, click on “View Time Slots for This Study.” The day(s), date(s), time(s), and location(s) will be made available.
5. If you find a suitable option, click on “Sign Up.” You will receive a message indicating that you are successfully registered for the study in question at the time you selected.
6. If you have second thoughts while still logged on, simply click on “My Schedule/Credits” at the top of the page. Click “Cancel” and you will be asked if you are sure you want to cancel your signup. At the bottom of the page, click either “Yes, I want to cancel” or “No, I do not want to cancel.”
7. You may sign up for as many studies as you like (from those available) at any one log-on.
8. Typically, you may cancel a study sign-up up to 8 hours (although this varies) before the study is scheduled to occur. Cancellation after that point makes things very difficult for the researcher, especially when the study only enrolls one person at a time. If you need to cancel but missed the cancellation deadline, please email the researcher to let them know.
Guidelines for Signing Up for Article Credit on Moodle
1. The web address is: https://moodle.depauw.edu/
2. Login to Moodle using your DePauw network username and password. If you have forgotten your password, click “Lost Password?” and follow the directions.
3. Click My Courses, Fall 2015, and click the Intro Research Moodle page (ex. 15161-PSY100ABCD)
4. Choose one of the 6 articles Under “Research Article Option Materials” to read and open it.
5. After reading an article, Select and download the document “Instructions and Questions for Research Article Assignments” and type your answers to each question in the document. You must include your name, class, Professor, and Title of the article to get credit. Save the document using your last name first initial (ex. TaylorA).
6. After completing the questions, upload the article to the Upload link of the same article title name.
If you have any questions that your professor cannot answer, please consult the detailed set of instructions available on your Moodle course site or contact Amber Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org or at x5925.