Built in 1941 at a cost of $100,000, Blackstock Stadium underwent a renovation in 1997 that included the addition of locker rooms, a multipurpose meeting room and improvements to restrooms, concession stand and the training room.
The addition of an indoor tennis and track center in the spring of 2001 has made the entire athletic complex one of the best among Division III schools.
The stadium includes a large all-brick stand on the west side of the field accommodating 3,000 and a 1,000-seat all-brick east stand. On the west side, atop the stands, is a 40-seat press box which is one of the finest on the Division III level. Four-fifths of the building cost of $100,000came from Mrs. Ira Blackstock in memory of her husband, an 1886 alumnus of DePauw.
The Blackstocks earlier (in 1923) had given $25,000 to purchase and improve the land on which the stadium was later built. Additional land was given by President and Mrs. G. Bromley Oxnam. The small brick field house, south of the present west stands, was built in 1933 at a cost of $9,000. It was used until Mrs. Blackstock’s gift created the new structure.The Blackstock’s home was Springfield, Ill., where both were active in religious and civic affairs, Mrs. Blackstock was the first woman trustee of DePauw.
In the early years of DePauw football, teams played on campus but that practice was later forbidden. After several plans for a new field failed to materialize,a site was discovered by two students and alumnus W.R. McKeen gave $500toward its purchase. Others contributed and soon the students were boasting that the field, named McKeen Field was the best in the state.
The team first played on the West Hanna Street site in 1895 and defeated Indiana in the inaugural game. Additional funds had to be borrowed for bleachers and other improvements, and by the time the mortgage was finally paid off in 1909, McKeen Field seemed entirely inadequate. McKeen Field was the center of outdoor athletics until 1923 when the Blackstocks gave the $25,000 toward Blackstock Field. Ground was broken on Blackstock Field in March 1921 and the field was dedicated on Old Gold Day in 1923.
From Interstate 70:
From Exit 41 (U.S. 231) proceed north for approximately seven miles. Turn left on Hanna Street (at the Pizza King restaurant) and continue on that until it dead ends into stadium (approximately seven blocks).
From North U.S. 231:
Proceed south on 231 until it turns atthe courthouse square. Where it turns, proceed straight for five blocks.Turn right on Hanna Street and the stadium will be on your right.
From Route 240:
Follow 240 west to the intersection with U.S. 231. Turn left on 231 for four blocks and then turn right on Hanna Street and continue for seven blocks, the stadium will be on your right.