Edwin C. Boswell
Sport(s): Basketball (Men's), Golf (Men's)
Ed Boswell was an Indianapolis native who, on receiving a Rector Scholarship, enrolled at DePauw in 1927. A six letter man, he played the guard position on the basketball team and the number two spot on the golf team. He was a member of Phi Gamma Delta and active in ROTC, serving as captain of the Corps and a member of Scabbard and Blade. He served on the Mirage yearbook, the Student Council, and was honored by selection to Blue Key. He graduated from DePauw in 1931 with majors in history and political science. Boswell has been a member of DePauw's Board of Trustees since 1956 and, soon thereafter, became chairman of the Trustee Committee on Athletics. He was instrumental in establishing the Old Gold Scholarship, which rewards outstanding and deserving scholar-athletes. For many years Ed Boswell was president of McMahan-O'Connor Construction Company, one of the largest highway builders in the Midwest. Because of his love for athletics and DePauw, his company literally changed the landscape of the campus. Over a 10-year period, he marshalled the resources of his company in developing the current tennis facilities, two intramural fields, a varsity practice field and the Boswell Soccer Field. He chaired the drive for the construction of Lilly Physical Education and Recreation Center, personally providing significant gifts for the project. He is the 1966 recipient of the Old Gold Goblet and past president of the Rector Scholar Alumni Association.