Preparation of Decision File
A decision file is constructed for each personnel case according to the stated procedures of the Committee of Faculty. These procedures shall be distributed to candidates and chairs of departmental or school Personnel Committees, in accordance with scheduled deadlines provided by the Chair of the Committee on Faculty and the Vice-President for Academic Affairs as explained in A.3 above. With the exception of materials generated during investigative mode (as defined in C.3 and D.3 below), materials submitted to the decision file after the established deadlines are placed in a buffer file which is not available to the Personnel Committee. The candidate will be afforded an opportunity to view all materials added to the buffer file and provide a response to them in a reasonable period of time. The following persons or committees may submit materials to the decision file subject to the published deadlines:
- The Vice-President for Academic Affairs may transfer to the decision file materials from the candidate’s personnel file deemed by the Vice-President for Academic Affairs to be relevant to the review as stipulated in Article IIIE. The Vice-President for Academic Affairs shall include in the decision file the following required materials for the review of faculty members not holding tenure as specified in Article II: the faculty member’s annual reports, the chair’s or dean’s responses to the annual reports, peer observations, and student opinion forms. The Vice President for Academic Affairs shall include in the decision file the following required materials for the review of faculty members for promotion not linked to a tenure review: the student opinion forms from the last eighteen full credit courses (or equivalent), or all courses taught during the review period, if fewer than eighteen.
- Individuals with knowledge of the candidate’s performance in the areas under review may submit to the decision file information about and evaluation of the candidate’s performance. Faculty members who so desire may also request, in writing to the Chair of the Personnel Committee, an interview with the departmental or school Personnel Committee. The Personnel Committee will notify the Chair of the Committee on Faculty of the request and conduct the interview as described in Article III.F.3.
- The departmental or school Personnel Committee may solicit other relevant information to be included in the decision file from the following:
- a representative sample of students who have direct knowledge of the candidate’s teaching effectiveness,
- colleagues in the University whom Personnel Committee members consider qualified to judge the candidate’s teaching effectiveness, professional competence, or service, and
- persons outside the University whom Personnel Committee members consider qualified to judge an appropriate aspect of the decision file. The Personnel Committee must notify the candidate that it intends to seek letters from persons outside the University. The committee must limit its solicitation to external evaluators agreeable to both the candidate and the committee.
- The candidate should provide documentation to be placed in the decision file according to the criteria stipulated in Article IIIE.
- The Committee on Faculty or the Personnel Committee in investigative mode may add material to the decision file.