Show More


Historical Timeline

1940-1979

1944

Franz Bodfors appointed Professor of Piano. Possessing an extraordinary memory and technique, Professor Bodfors gave recitals of the complete keyboard works of Bach, and later Mozart and Beethoven. Resigns in 1972 as Professor Emeritus of Piano.

1946

Franklin P. Inglis begins career as Director of Bands and Professor of Woodwinds. Inglis’s career tragically ended in 1956 when he died of a heart attack during the intermission of a band concert.

 

Vocalist May Strong joins faculty. Retires in 1964 as Professor Emeritus of Voice and Theory.

1947

Aeolian Trio founded.

The Aeolian Trio, a piano trio comprised of DePauw School of Music faculty members, was founded in 1947 by cellist Artheda McFall, violinist Herman Berg, and pianist Franz Bodfors. Most active from 1949 to 1967, the trio performed on college campuses and for chamber music societies, appearing in 25 states on more than 100 campuses. The trio received very favorable reviews and was described in the Washington Post as “a fine example of the quality and depth of chamber music performance now widespread in American universities.” The Aeolian Trio disbanded in the early 1990s, and has included cellists Artheda McFall, Edna Bowles, Cassel Grubb, and Eric Edberg; violinists Herman Berg, Walter Swede, and Dan Rizner; and pianists Franz Bodfors, Henry Kolling, Eugene Barban, Mary Heller, and Claude Cymerman.

 

 

Donald White, Professor of Theory and Composition, joins faculty. Becomes director in 1974.

1948

Marcel Dupré performs an organ recital with some of his own pieces on the program.

 

Pianist Glen Sherman appointed. Retires 1974 as Professor Emeritus of Piano.

 

Cellist Cassel Grubb joins faculty. During his tenure as Professor of Cello and Theory, he was honored as the John C. and Lillian W. Siegesmund Professor of Music. Grubb becomes director in 1977. Retires in 1988 as Professor Emeritus of Violoncello and Theory.

1950

Organist and DePauw graduate Arthur Carkeek joins faculty. Retires in 1989 as Professor Emeritus of Organ.

 

Robert Grocock, Professor of Brass Instruments and Theory, appointed. Retires in 1987 as Professor Emeritus of Brass Instruments and Theory.

1951

DePauw graduate Maureen Carkeek, part-time professor of organ, piano, and director of preparatory department, joins faculty. Carkeek holds the record for longest career in School of Music history, surpassing in 2004 Julia Druly’s 52-year tenure from 1882 to 1934.

 

Daniel Hanna, Director of Bands and Professor of Music Education, joins faculty. Retires in 1988 as Professor Emeritus of School Music Education and Director Emeritus of University Bands.

1956

University Choir performs under the direction of George W. Gove in Scandinavian countries, England, and continental Europe during a 40-day tour.

 

DePauw graduate Milton S. Trusler appointed to succeed Thompson as director. Retires 1974 as Professor Emeritus of Music. Under the Trusler administration, the music performance degree was created.

1957

Broadway team Nancy Ford Charles and Gretchen Cryer graduate from DePauw University.

1958

Renowned choral conductor Joseph Flummerfelt graduates and goes on to have an extraordinary international career. In 1964, Flummerfelt joined the faculty as Director of Choirs and Choral Music and Repertoire until 1967.

 

Broadway performer David Cryer graduates from DePauw University.

1962

First Contemporary Music Festival held. Funded by the State Arts Commission, the festival was able to attract such renowned artists as Aaron Copland, Vincent Persichetti, and Howard Hanson.

1963

Thomas Fitzpatrick, Tenor, appointed Professor Voice and Director of Opera Theatre. Retires as Professor Emeritus of Voice in 1991.

 

Eunice Wilcox begins tenure at DePauw. Retires in 1987 as Professor Emerita of School Music Education.

1971

Aaron Copland visits DePauw for three days during the first Winter Term as part of the Contemporary Music Festival. Copland directed the orchestra and held workshops during his visit.

 

James Beckel, composer and Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra trombonist, joins faculty.

 

Anne B. Reynolds, formerly a flutist in the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, joins faculty.

1973

The progressive and innovative Music/Business major is created under leadership of Robert Grocock. As one of the first institutions in the nation to offer such a program, DePauw was featured in the Wall Street Journal, and Grocock was interviewed on the Today Show.

1974

Donald White becomes director until 1977. His administration oversaw the construction of and the move into the Performing Arts Center.

 

Claude Cymerman, later named the John C. and Lillian W. Siegesmund Professor of Music, appointed Professor of Piano.

 

Pianist Lorna Hester Griffitt appointed. Retires in 1999.

 

Orcenith Smith, Professor of Tuba and Director of the Orchestra, appointed full-time tenure faculty member.

 

Pamela Coburn graduates and becomes established as a soprano of the highest order.

Pamela Coburn is a regular guest performer in the world's most important opera houses and concert halls such as Vienna, Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Salzburg, Covent Garden, Metropolitan Opera, and Carnegie Hall. During her years at the Munich State opera, Coburn received the rank of Kammersängerin, or “dame” as it is known in London.

 

Judson Green graduates from DePauw University.

1975

Stanley Irwin, bass-baritone, joins faculty as Professor of Voice and is appointed full-time tenure faculty member.

 

Joyce Taugler Green graduates from DePauw University.

1976

School of Music moves to the Performing Arts Center; Music Hall razed.

The construction of the Performing Arts Center was seen, as conductor of the orchestra and Professor of Tuba Orcenith Smith stated, as “a quantum leap forward for the School of Music. It was a statement from the Board of Trustees that the School of Music and its faculty were a significant and singular asset to DePauw and worth the resources spent on the new facilities to make the School (for its size) one of the best in the country.”

The Performing Arts Center, a handsome and modern brick complex, was home to the School of Music and the Communication Department until summer of 2007. It contained the 1500-seat Krege Auditorium, the 400-seat Moore Theatre, the 200-seat Thompson Recital Hall, and a 37-bell carillon tower. It also housed faculty studios, the Music Library, mitc Lab, as well as classrooms, practice rooms, and rehearsal spaces.

1977

Cassel Grubb becomes acting director during White’s sabbatical leave.

Grubb was appointed permanent director the next year. As director, Grubb strived for a balanced student population of instrumentalists and vocalists. Grubb recalls having a good relationship with the faculty, all of whom possessed a “one-mindedness to make to the school the best it could be,” and high expectations and standards for the students. He resigned from deanship in 1987.

 

The DePauw Symphony Orchestra and the University Choirs perform and record Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana in celebration of the inauguration of DePauw President Richard Rosser.

1978

University Choir performs in the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra’s “Bach Series” under direction of ISO conductor John Nelson in 1978 and 1980.

1979

Randy Salman, Director of Jazz Studies and Professor of Clarinet and Saxophone, appointed full-time tenure faculty member.

Click to Continue: 1980-Present