Coe Advances to NCAA Second Round with 5-4 Win over Hope
May 10, 2012
Greencastle, Ind. - It all came down to number-four singles and Coe's Sara Ohlman took a three-set win over Hope's Shelby Schulz to give the Kohawks a 5-4 win over the Flying Dutch in the first round of the NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championship.
Coe improved to 22-3 with the win and advances to tomorrow's second round match against Carnegie Mellon at 2 p.m. Hope finished its season at 18-8.
After dropping the first set by a 7-6 score (7-1 tiebreaker), Ohlman rallied to win the second set 7-5 and the third, 6-3, to give her team the victory.
Hope took a 1-0 lead as its number two doubles tandem of Schulz and Mallory Smith defeated Jackie Pedersen and Ohlman by an 8-5 score. The Kohawks evened the score as their first doubles team of Michelle Schupbach and Tai Lucero topped Carli Capestany and Leah LaBarge, 8-4. The Flying Dutch wrapped up doubles play with a win at the number three spot with Andrea Pickelman and Hannah Schulz beating Jordan Ferree and Elizabeth Hoffmann by an 8-2 score.
Hope's Smith picked up the first singles win as she topped Ferree at number five 6-1, 6-1. Lucero topped LaBarge at second singles by a 6-0, 6-1 count to cut Hope's lead to 3-2. The Flying Dutch expanded the margin to 4-2 when Melissa Bieri took a three-set win over Hoffmann 5-7, 6-0, 6-0.
The Kohawks tied the score with wins at first and third singles. Schupbach defeated Capestany at the number one flight 6-1, 6-4 before Pedersen beat Casey Baxter 7-5, 6-4.
Coe College vs Hope College
5/10/2012 at DePauw University; Greencastle, Ind.
Coe College 5, Hope College 4
1. Michelle Schupbach (COEW) def. Carli Capestany (HOPE) 6-1, 6-4
2. Tai Lucero (COEW) def. Leah LaBarge (HOPE) 6-0, 6-1
3. Jackie Pedersen (COEW) def. Casey Baxter (HOPE) 7-5, 6-4
4. Sara Ohlman (COEW) def. Shelby Schulz (HOPE) 6-7 (1-7), 7-5, 6-3
5. Mallory Smith (HOPE) def. Jordan Ferree (COEW) 6-1, 6-1
6. Melissa Bieri (HOPE) def. Elizabeth Hoffmann (COEW) 5-7, 6-0, 6-0
1. Michelle Schupbach/Tai Lucero (COEW) def. Carli Capestany/Leah LaBarge (HOPE) 8-4
2. Shelby Schulz/Mallory Smith (HOPE) def. Jackie Pedersen/Sara Ohlman (COEW) 8-5
3. Andrea Pickelman/Hannah Schulz (HOPE) def. Jordan Ferree/Elizabeth Hoffmann (COEW) 8-2
Coe College 22-3
Hope College 18-8
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,2,6,1,3,4)
NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championship First Round
Coe advances to second round on Friday at 2 p.m. against Carnegie Mellon