Kalamazoo blanks Washington to advance to NCAA second round
May 7, 2005
May 7, 2005, Greencastle, Ind. - Tenth-ranked Kalamazoo College defeated 17th-ranked Washington (Mo.) by a 5-0 score in the first round of the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Championships to advance to Sunday's second-round match where it will face 23rd-ranked Kenyon. The Lords defeated DePauw, 4-3, in the day's other first-round match. Sunday's second-round match begins at Noon.
Kalamazoo picked up the doubles point by winning at the number one and two slots. Michael Malvitz and Julian Seelan defeated Ari Rosenthal and Charlie Howard, 8-4, while Matt Harding and Tim Hubbard beat William McMahan and Shaul Yecheskel 9-7. The Bears did win at number three doubles as Zack Fayne and Eric Borden beat Alec Kempster and Andrew Brown by an 8-5 score.
Harding then gave the Hornets a 2-0 lead with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Borden at fourth singles and Seelan made it 3-0 with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Fayne at number two. Kalamazoo's Dave Atallah wrapped up the match by beating Charlie Howard at the fifth spot 5-7, 6-1, 6-2. The number one singles match was then played to a decision with Malvitz beating Rosenthal 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 1-0 (10-5).
Tennis Match Results
Washington (Mo.) University vs Kalamazoo College
5/7/2005 at Greencastle, Indiana
#10 Kalamazoo College 5, #17 Washington (Mo.) University 0
1. Michael Malvitz (KZOO) def. Ari Rosenthal (WASHU) 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Julian Seelan (KZOO) def. Zack Fayne (WASHU) 6-4, 6-4
3. William McMahan (WASHU) def. Alec Kempster (KZOO) 2-6, 6-4, unfinished
4. Matt Harding (KZOO) def. Eric Borden (WASHU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Dave Atallah (KZOO) def. Charlie Howard (WASHU) 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
6. Matt Freedman (WASHU) def. Tim Hubbard (KZOO) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0, unfinished
1. Michael Malvitz/Julian Seelan (KZOO) def. Ari Rosenthal/Charlie Howard (WASHU) 8-4
2. Matt Harding/Tim Hubbard (KZOO) def. William McMahan/Shaul Yecheskel (WASHU) 9-7
3. Zack Fayne/Eric Borden (WASHU) def. Alec Kempster/Andrew Brown (KZOO) 8-5
Washington (Mo.) University 14-5; National ranking #17; Regional ranking #4
Kalamazoo College 19-6; National ranking #10; Regional ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,2,5,1)
NCAA Division III Central Region First Round
Kalamazoo advances to second round to face Kenyon at Noon on Sunday
Number 1 and 3 singles suspended after match decided; but #1 played to decision