Kalamazoo advances to NCAA Quarterfinals with 4-1 win over Keyon
May 8, 2005
May 8, 2005, Greencastle, Ind. - Kalamazoo College advanced to the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Quarterfinals after a 4-1 victory over Kenyon College in a Central Region second-round match at the Blackstock Courts. Kalamazoo improved to 21-6, while Kenyon ended its season at 16-6.
The Hornets earned the doubles point with wins at the first and third spots. Alec Kempster and Andrew Brown defeated Josh Mabra and Matt Haugen at number three by an 8-4 score before Kenyon's Sean Stewart and Joe Freeman defeated the Hornets' Matt Harding and Tim Hubbard, 8-5, at number two. The doubles points came down to the number one match where the Hornets' Michael Malvitz and Julian Seelan defeated Borko Tesic and Mike Herrick 9-8 (7-5 tie-breaker).
In singles play, Kempster defeated Stewart 6-3, 6-0 before Seelan beat Herrick 6-2, 6-2 to make it 3-0. The match was then decided when Kalamazoo's Dave Atallah defeated Mabra at number five by a 6-3, 6-4 score. The number one singles match was played to a decision with Tesic defeating Malvitz 6-4, 6-3.
Tennis Match Results
Kenyon College vs Kalamazoo College
5/8/2005 at DePauw University; Greencastle, Indiana
#10 Kalamazoo College 4, #23 Kenyon College 1
1. Borko Tesic (KENYON) def. Michael Malvitz (KZOO) 6-4, 6-3
2. Julian Seelan (KZOO) def. Mike Herrick (KENYON) 6-2, 6-2
3. Alec Kempster (KZOO) def. Sean Stewart (KENYON) 6-3, 6-0
4. Matt Harding (KZOO) vs. Joe Freeman (KENYON) 3-6, 5-2, unfinished
5. Dave Atallah (KZOO) def. Josh Mabra (KENYON) 6-3, 6-4
6. Tim Hubbard (KZOO) vs. Brian Taubman (KENYON) 7-5, 3-0, unfinished
1. Michael Malvitz/Julian Seelan (KZOO) def. Borko Tesic/Mike Herrick (KENYON) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Sean Stewart/Joe Freeman (KENYON) def. Matt Harding/Tim Hubbard (KZOO) 8-5
3. Alec Kempster/Andrew Brown (KZOO) def. Josh Mabra/Matt Haugen (KENYON) 8-4
Kenyon College 16-6; National ranking #23; Regional ranking #6
Kalamazoo College 21-6; National ranking #10; Regional ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,2,5,1)
NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Championships Central Region Second Round
Kalamazoo advances to NCAA Quarterfinals at UC-Santa Cruz, 5/18