Albion Advances to NCAA Second Round with 5-0 Win over Baldwin-Wallace
May 2, 2008
May 2, 2008, Greencastle, Ind. - Albion advanced to the NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championship second round following a 5-0 first-round win over Baldwin-Wallace at the DePauw Indoor Tennis and Track Center.
The Britons improved to 19-2 on the season and face fifth-ranked Denison on Saturday at 2 p.m., while the Yellow Jackets finished the season at 18-7.
Albion took a 3-0 lead after sweeping doubles as Mara Rendina and Lisa Wohlford won at the number three spot over Andrea Essig and Alyssa Trampert by an 8-5 score before the number-two team of Emily Gundersen and Anna Gundersen topped Caitlyn Pecinovsky and Krista Marshall, 8-6.
Shelley Zamler and Michelle Mulder capped the doubles sweep at number one with a 9-7 victory over Tiffany Allison and Meggie Glassburn.
Emily Gundersen was the first off the courts in singles after defeating Marhsall 6-2, 6-0 at the number-four slot and Anna Gudnersen finished the match with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Pelosi.
Baldwin-Wallace vs Albion College
May 02, 2008 at Greencastle, Indiana
(DePauw Indoor Tennis and Track Center)
Albion College 5, Baldwin-Wallace 0
1. Shelley Zamler (ALBION) vs. Tiffany Allison (BW) 6-6, unfinished
2. Michelle Mulder (ALBION) vs. Meggie Glassburn (BW) 4-6, 3-4, unfinished
3. Mara Rendina (ALBION) vs. Caitlyn Pecinovsky (BW) 2-6, 4-5, unfinished
4. Emily Gundersen (ALBION) def. Krista Marshall (BW) 6-2, 6-0
5. Anna Gundersen (ALBION) def. Emily Pelosi (BW) 6-1, 6-4
6. Lisa Wohlford (ALBION) vs. Alyssa Trampert (BW) 3-6, 1-4, unfinished
1. Shelley Zamler/Michelle Mulder (ALBION) def. Tiffany Allison/Meggie Glassburn (BW) 9-7
2. Emily Gundersen/Anna Gundersen (ALBION) def. Caitlyn Pecinovsky/Krista Marshall (BW) 8-6
3. Mara Rendina/Lisa Wohlford (ALBION) def. Andrea Essig/Alyssa Trampert (BW) 8-5
Albion College 19-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,5)
NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championship First Round
Match Played Indoors at DePauw Indoor Tennis and Track Center
Albion advances to Saturday's second round and faces fifth-ranked Denison at 2.