Fourth-ranked Chicago Blanks Grinnell and Advances to NCAA Women's Tennis Third Round
May 9, 2009
May 9, 2009, Greencastle, Ind. — Fourth-ranked Chicago lost just two games and advanced to the NCAA Women's Tennis Championship Third Round following a 5-0 win over Grinnell.
The Maroons improved to 15-4 and will play 12th-ranked DePauw on Sunday at 12:30 p.m. Grinnell ended its season at 20-7.
Chicago lost just two games in sweeping doubles and then won at first and second doubles by identical 6-0, 6-0 scores.
May 09, 2009 at Greencastle, Ind.
1. Kendra Higgins (UCW) def. Toby Cain (GC) 6-0, 6-0
2. Jennifer Kung (UCW) def. Jill Akiyama (GC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Carmen Vaca Guzman (UCW) vs. Katie Colver (GC) unfinished
4. Chrissy Hu (UCW) vs. Maya Lipert (GC) unfinished
5. Vindya Dayananda (UCW) vs. Tatyana Sukharnikova (GC) unfinished
6. Tiffany Nguyen (UCW) vs. Lindsay Smith (GC) unfinished
1. Kendra Higgins/Chrissy Hu (UCW) def. Toby Cain/Tatyana Sukharnikova (GC) 8-0
2. Jennifer Kung/Vindya Dayananda (UCW) def. Maya Lipert/Katie Colver (GC) 8-1
3. Tiffany Nguyen/Carmen Vaca Guzman (UCW) def. Jill Akiyama/Kelsey Picken (GC) 8-1
Grinnell College 20-7
Chicago 15-4; National ranking #4