DePauw Wins NCAA Men's Tennis Second Round Match; Faces Top-Ranked Bears on Sunday
May 9, 2009
May 9, 2009, St. Louis, Mo. —The 12th-ranked Tigers improved to 22-3 on the season following a 5-2 win over Grinnell in the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Championship Second Round match.
DePauw advanced to Sunday's third-round against host and top-ranked Washington University. Sunday's match is slated to start at Noon CDT with live stats available. Grinnell finished its season at 16-10.
The Tigers swept through doubles play to take a 3-0 lead. Will Gates blanked Maritin Dluhos at the number-six spot 6-0, 6-0 before Grinnell picked up wins at second and first singles. Bryan Heck wrapped up the match with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Sam Raife.
Grinnell College vs DePauw University
May 09, 2009 at St. Louis, Mo.
(Tao Tennis Center)
#12 DePauw University 5, Grinnell College 2
1. Juan Carlos Perez (GC) def. Scott Swanson (DEPAUW) 6-1, 6-1
2. Dan LaFountaine (GC) def. Scott Sandager (DEPAUW) 6-0, 6-3
3. Hunter Schouweiler (DEPAUW) vs. Nate Fox (GC) 6-3, 2-3, unfinished
4. Bryan Heck (DEPAUW) def. Sam Raife (GC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Michael Rardon (DEPAUW) vs. Eric Ritter (GC) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
6. Will Gates (DEPAUW) def. Martin Dluhos (GC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Bryan Heck/Scott Sandager (DEPAUW) def. Dan LaFountaine/Nate Fox (GC) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Hunter Schouweiler/Michael Rardon (DEPAUW) def. Juan Carlos Perez/Sam Raife (GC) 8-4
3. Will Gates/Scott Swanson (DEPAUW) def. Dmitriy Glumov/Michael Cole (GC) 8-1
Grinnell College 16-10
DePauw University 22-3; National ranking #12
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,2,1,4)
2009 NCAA Men's Tennis Central Region Semifinals.