Fourth-ranked Chicago Tops Tigers in NCAA Third-Round Women's Tennis Match
May 10, 2009
May 10, 2009, Greencastle, Ind. — The fourth-ranked University of Chicago Maroons improved to 16-4 and advanced to the NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championship quarterfinals following a 5-0 win over 12th-ranked DePauw. The Tigers finished the season with a 17-9 record.
Chicago swept the doubles matches before claiming wins at second and third singles for the win.
The Tigers will be represented at the Division III Singles and Doubles Championships as Janelle Arita will compete in singles and the tandem of Greer Mackie and Kayla Smith will compete in doubles. The singles and doubles play takes place May 22-24 at the Collins Hill Athletic Club in Lawrenceville, Ga.
Chicago vs DePauw University
May 10, 2009 at Greencastle,, Indiana
#4 Chicago 5, #12 DePauw University 0
1. Janelle Arita (DEPAUW) vs. Kendra Higgins (UCW) unfinished
2. Jennifer Kung (UCW) def. Greer Mackie (DEPAUW) 6-1, 6-2
3. Carmen Vaca Guzman (UCW) def. Kelly Gebert (DEPAUW) 6-1, 6-3
4. Kayla Smith (DEPAUW) vs. Chrissy Hu (UCW) unfinished
5. Kristine Lewry (DEPAUW) vs. Vindya Dayananda (UCW) unfinished
6. Betsey Flanzer (DEPAUW) vs. Tiffany Nguyen (UCW) unfinished
1. Kendra Higgins/Chrissy Hu (UCW) def. Greer Mackie/Kayla Smith (DEPAUW) 8-1
2. Jennifer Kung/Vindya Dayananda (UCW) def. Janelle Arita/Kelly Gebert (DEPAUW) 8-3
3. Carmen Vaca Guzman/Tiffany Nguyen (UCW) def. Kristine Lewry/Tricia Wilks (DEPAUW) 8-5
Chicago 16-4; National ranking #4
DePauw University 17-9; National ranking #12
NCAA Division III Third Round
Chicago advances to NCAA Quarterfinals