Carnegie Mellon Advances to NCAA Third Round with Win over Coes
May 11, 2012
Greencastle, Ind. - Sixth-ranked Carnegie Mellon advanced to the third round of the NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championship following a 5-0 win over Coe.
Carnegie Mellon improved to 17-5 and faces eighth-ranked DePauw in tomorrow's 10 a.m. third-round match. The Tigers topped Wheaton (Ill.), 5-1, earlier today. Coe finished its season at 22-4.
The Tartans swept doubles as the number-two tandem of Bryn Raschke and Chelsea Motie started with an 8-1 win over Jackie Pedersen and Sara Ohlman, 8-1. The first doubles team of Laura Chen and Courtney Chin blanked Michelle Schubach and Tai Lucero, 8-0, and the third doubles duo of Katie Cecil and Angela Pratt beat Jordan Ferree and Elizabeth Hoffmann, 8-2.
Pratt defeated Ferree 6-0, 6-0 at fifth singles before Clare DuBrin wrapped up the match with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Hoffmann at number six singles.
Coe College vs Carnegie Mellon University
5/10/2012 at DePauw University; Greencastle, Ind.
#6 Carnegie Mellon University 6, Coe College 0
1. Katie Cecil (CMUW) vs. Michelle Schupbach (COEW) 6-1, 5-1, unfinished
2. Laura Chen (CMUW) def. Tai Lucero (COEW) 6-1, 1-1
3. Chelsea Motie (CMUW) vs. Jackie Pedersen (COEW) 6-2, 2-0, unfinished
4. Courtney Chin (CMUW) vs. Sara Ohlman (COEW) 6-2, 5-1, unfinished
5. Angela Pratt (CMUW) def. Jordan Ferree (COEW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Clare DuBrin (CMUW) def. Elizabeth Hoffmann (COEW) 6-0, 6-1
1. Laura Chen/Courtney Chin (CMUW) def. Michelle Schupbach/Tai Lucero (COEW) 8-0
2. Bryn Raschke/Chelsea Motie (CMUW) def. Jackie Pedersen/Sara Ohlman (COEW) 8-1
3. Katie Cecil/Angela Pratt (CMUW) def. Jordan Ferree/Elizabeth Hoffmann (COEW) 8-2
Coe College 22-4
Carnegie Mellon University 17-5; National ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,6)
NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championship Third Round
Carnegie Mellon faces DePauw in 3rd round match on Saturday at 10 a.m.