Welcome, Class of 2016
July 31, 2012
Click here for Opening Day Convocation Webcast
DePauw University is proud to welcome the members of the class of 2016 and their families to campus. Orientation for new students begins on August 18th, and as families arrive on that day, there will be a lot going on. In addition to the normal activity of Arrival Day, DePauw is currently engaged in a number of construction projects that will require some adjustments as we continue to invest in our campus. This page offers you access to all the information you will need before you arrive on campus.
As a complement to information provided here, please be sure to stay tuned to our website and our Twitter feed on Arrival Day. We will post the latest information about the opening day schedule on the University's homepage and will share additional updates via Twitter, specifically any last minute changes due to weather.
The Anderson Street construction project will close both Anderson Street and Bloomington Street/US 231 for a period of time this fall. During this time, those traveling to campus should use alternate routes to get to DePauw:
From the North
Take US 231 south into Greencastle.
- At the court house square, follow the US 231 Detour by continuing straight. This becomes Jackson Street.
- Follow Jackson Street to Hanna Street and turn left onto Hanna Street.
- For students living in the South Quad (Bishop Roberts, College Street, Hogate, Humbert and Longden Halls): Remain on Hanna Street and turn right onto Locust Street towards South Quad
- For students living in Lucy Rowland Hall: Proceed on Hanna Street to the Rector Village parking lot.
- For visitors to DePauw Admissions: Turn left on Seminary Street and look for signs for Admission Parking.
From the South/Interstate 70
Follow US 231 into Greencastle.
- At Veteran’s Memorial Highway, follow the US 231 detour by turning left onto Veteran’s Memorial Highway.
- Follow Veteran’s Memorial Highway to the end at Jackson Street. Turn right onto Jackson Street.
- For students living in the South Quad (Bishop Roberts, College Street, Hogate, Humbert and Longden Halls): Turn right on Hanna Street. Remain on Hanna Street and turn right onto Locust Street towards South Quad
- For students living in Lucy Rowland Hall: Turn right on Hanna Street. Proceed on Hanna Street to the Rector Village parking lot.
- For visitors to DePauw Admissions: Turn right on Seminary Street and look for signs for Admission Parking.
New Student Orientation for the Class of 2016 begins on Saturday, August 18 and concludes on Tuesday, August 21. The first day of classes for all students is Wednesday, August 22.
Students are able to begin moving into their residence halls at 8 a.m. on Saturday, August 18. We hope that parents and guardians will join us during the day on Saturday for the festivities, featuring Opening Convocation. Parents will be able to depart campus at approximately 5:30 p.m.
A full New Student Orientation schedule can be accessed here.
The First-Year Experience Program provides first-year students a challenging yet supportive experience that inspires self-discovery and an active engagement with the learning and growth opportunities available to them as they transition and integrate into the DePauw community. We recognize that the transition from high school to college is a monumental one, and we are here for you to help make the transition a smooth and successful one.
If you have any questions about the First-Year Experience that cannot be answered here, we welcome you to contact the Office of Student Life at 765-658-4270. More information is available at the First Year Experience page.
Our environs are a key component of this experience, not merely the background. They are the means through which we provide the best possible version of the DePauw academic and social experience. This Campus Master Plan is intended to guide the development of our buildings and rounds to support and nurture these aspirations for DePauw's future.
Two projects currently under construction on DePauw's campus include the work on Anderson Street to provide a more convenient and appropriate entrance to our campus, and the work underway to relocate the bookstore
DePauw is working with Folletts to open a new and larger bookstore in Greencastle’s downtown square. The bookstore, Eli's Books, is scheduled to open its doors in late September, with a Grand Opening on Family Weekend, September 28th. Eli's Books, named after one-time DePauw student and Greencastle pharmacist Eli Lilly, will sell books and campus apparel, and will include a Starbucks coffee bar.
Between now and the opening of the new store, campus bookstore operations will continue to operate under Folletts management in the existing bookstore space in the basement of the Union Building.
More information about DePauw's campus plan can be found here.