Frank W. Howes Student Summer Grant
The Frank W. Howes Student Summer Grant fund supports students carrying out off-campus undergraduate research projects during the summer. Undergraduate research projects are an excellent opportunity to pursue significant learning about a scholarly, artistic or creative special interest. Projects often benefit a student's senior project or post-graduate endeavor.
Online application. Deadline: April 12, 2017
Travel to a particular site away from DePauw must be an integral rather than incidental component of Howes project proposals. The project must be sponsored by a DePauw faculty member, who agrees to provide support and supervision. Grants are limited to returning students only.
Students must be in good academic standing.
Projects should not duplicate on-campus courses, repeat previous study or service projects, or replicate summer job experiences.
Students should have a DePauw research sponsor (a faculty or staff member) who has some expertise in the project topic.
Travel to a particular site away from DePauw must be an integral rather than incidental component of the project.
Projects should be 35-40 hours of work per week for a minimum of 8 weeks.
Student must enroll in classes in the fall 2017 semester.
QUESTIONS? Please direct any questions to advisors in the Hubbard Center of Student Engagement or the Faculty Development Coordinator, Jeff Kenney. Applicants may also find it useful to access information about international travel.
To receive the Howes Student Summer Grant students are required to:
- Submit application by the deadline.
- A project sponsor's endorsement of the project must be submitted by the deadline. The sponsor must send an endorsement to Becky Wallace by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the application will be reviewed. The endorsement need not be a formal recommendation letter but should briefly express the sponsor’s assessment of the project’s feasibility and merit, the student's ability to complete the project, and the relevance of the project to the student's academic program.
- Be selected by the Faculty Development Committee to receive the award.
- Submit all required forms and documents.
- Complete mandatory online orientation.