Event Planning Guide: What to Ask Yourself
- Who is the speaker/guest?
- Has the speaker visited DePauw before? If so, when did they visit?
- What is the purpose of this visit?
- What is the proposed itinerary for your speaker/guest?
- When will they arrive and depart?
- Will they meet with classes, organizations, and/or departments?
- Will they give a public lecture?
- Will they have a private lunch or dinner with select guests?
- What other activities will they participate in during their visit?
- Who is yourtargetaudience?
- How does the speaker/event contribute to academic courses and/or other campus initiatives?
- When do you want to have your event (date and time)?
- Where do you want to have your event?
- What other events are taking place at that time on campus and in the surrounding community? Consult the Planning Calendar.
- What is the proposed budget for the visit? (transportation, accommodation, meals, honorarium, materials/special supplies needed by guest, publicity, misc.)
- How much money do you currently have and how much more do you need?
- What other departments and organizations may be interested in co-sponsoring your event/speaker?
- What is the proposed marketing plan for your event?
- What methods (fliers, email, bulleting board, personal invitations) will you use to publicize your event?
- When will you begin publicizing your event?
Now that you have answered these...
You are now ready to continue planning your academic event. Contact Keith Nightenhelser for assistance.