RT @SteveSetchell: (2) Asked why she's involved as an alumna, Dr. Wilson '99 tells students, "DePauw is where I connected with what makes my heart sing."3 days ago
DePauw's Climate Action Plan and Sustainability Master Plan - together forming "Sustainable DePauw" - represent the collective vision of students, faculty, staff, administrators and Greencastle's leaders for how DePauw can become a thriving, sustainable community while reducing its greenhouse gas emissions from 38,700 metric tons of annual CO2 emissions to zero by 2040.
These plans have been developed in partnership with The City of Greencastle, which has been recognized as Green City of the Year for four years consecutively. DePauw and Greencastle community members have worked closely to ensure that sustainability efforts are inclusive of all regional residents and leverage both the city's and University's strengths.
While it took 18 months to complete our Climate Action Plan, we believe the experience led to an inclusive, comprehensive approach to achieving carbon neutrality.
We formed three main groups: Education, Facilities and Infrastructure, and Community and Communication. Within these groups, there were several subgroups such as Transportation, Grounds, and Curriculum that met regularly throughout spring semester 2010.
At the end of the semester, we compiled all of the projects and invited everyone to assign project priorities according to project cost and impact. Each project was categorized as: high impact/low cost, high impact/high cost, low impact/low cost, or low impact/high cost.
Kate Wright ’11 and Gary Pett ’11 place emissions-reducing campus projects on an impact grid.
The Plan outlines nine interconnected goals that will position DePauw as a model of sustainability in higher education:
- Sustain and enhance sustainability-focused and sustainability-related curricular opportunities.
- Sustain and enhance sustainability-focused and sustainability-related cocurricular activities.
- Create a campus-wide culture of conservation.
- Continue improvements to energy efficiency.
- Create a more sustainable campus transportation system.
- Invest in renewable energy projects.
- Review University investment opportunities to further include sustainability-focused and sustainability-related funds.
- Enhance sustainability service opportunities and create local carbon offset projects and programs.
- Serve as a regional leader in promoting sustainability.
@DePauwSustain on Twitter
Don't forget that our office is hiring 2 interns for the 2014-15 academic year! Applications due Friday 4/18 by 4 PM http://t.co/FCdmwW8vxu3 days ago
Richard Louv is at DePauw! (UB Ballroom) http://t.co/O44oqj3IPg6 days ago
Rising juniors and seniors: e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and statement of interest to apply to be an intern by April 18th!7 days ago
Check out the DePauw Sustainability Facebook page for info on how to apply to be a junior or senior Sustainability Intern!15 days ago
@DePauw_WBB tipoff tonight @ 7:30pm. Let's support our team!1 month ago