Show More

Student Resources

Responsibilities of  F-1 Students

International students are required to abide by United States immigration regulations throughout their stay in the country. International students are admitted to the US by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for the purpose of being full-time students. Follow the link below to maintain valid immigration status. Requirements to maintain legal F-1 student status

J-1 Exchange Visitor Program

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program was developed by the United States government in conjunction with governments of countries around the world to serve as a forum for educational and cultural exchange. The program provides opportunities for thousands of students, scholars, and others to spend time in foreign countries learning skills and sharing their knowledge and culture, then take these experiences back to their home countries. Follow the link below to maintain valid immigration status. Requirements to maintain legal J-1 student status

Below is important information regarding English language support, student health insurance, how to make payment to DePauw, Social Security information, and taxes. For detailed information about the sections below, please access the following link:  Important information for DePauw international students

English Language and Academic Support

DePauw students have access to a wide variety of resources at their fingertips when they need academic assistance.  International students can take advantage of additional English and academic support services, including tailored writing seminars, tutoring, workshops and Academic Resource Centers to improve writing, speaking and listening skills. For more details about courses, testing and available English language and academic support, visit the following website:

Student Health Insurance

DePauw offers insurance coverage for international students that protects them anywhere in the world, except in their home countries; this insurance plan includes prescription drug reimbursement and maternity coverage. This insurance policy is through the Lewer Agency, Inc and meets the Department of State’s J-1 insurance requirements. The cost for the 2014-15 academic year is $1249.00 and covers students for one full calendar year. Follow the link below to learn more about the insurance coverage provided at DePauw:  Students are required to maintain continuous (year-round) Lewer insurance coverage unless an alternative insurance policy is approved by ISS staff in writing. 

DePauw international students who study outside the United States (Winter Term, semester-long study abroad or internship programs) are required to maintain Lewer insurance throughout their off-campus study experience, unless they submit and are approved in writing to purchase alternative insurance coverage for that period of time.  

How to Make Payments to DePauw

Tuition and all student fees are charged to a DePauw student account. All fees must be paid within thirty days; once a fee is outstanding for thirty days, additional fees may apply. All students and families should inform themselves about current deadlines for making payments to DePauw. More information is available at the Cash Receipts office website: Student billing and payments

Payments can be made in person or on-line by cash, check or major credit card (MasterCard, Discover, or American Express). In order to pay by credit card or to sign up for a payment plan, students must register with the CASHNet payment system. Read more about the CASHNet payment system at:


International students can take advantage of a variety of employment opportunities, but they must work closely with International Student Services to ensure that they always comply with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Failure to follow these important rules can lead to serious consequences, such as fines, ineligibility for future visas or deportation.

Working on campus

International students in F-1 Degree-seeking or J-1 Exchange status are eligible to work up to 20 hours per week on DePauw’s campus when classes are in session. During official break periods, students are allowed to work full-time (40 hours per week) on campus. Students should discuss any new on-campus employment opportunities with International Student Services to ensure that all work is authorized.  

Working off-campus

All off-campus employment must be reviewed and pre-authorized by International Student Services. F-1 students can be authorized to work off-campus through two different programs, Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT). Interested students should review requirements for and submit the CPT or OPT request forms in order to be authorized for off-campus employment by International Student Services.   

Transportation and Accommodations

Greencastle, Indiana, is a rural city with limited public transportation.  Therefore, students and families should consider their transportation needs in advance when making plans to visit or live on campus.

Transportation Resources

DePauw students who need transportation for a specific date often post a request on DePauw's online e-Services "Classifieds Bulletin board" to find other students who can assist; typically, students offer to pay for the cost of gas.
The International Student Services office provides special shuttles for new international students arriving for the first day of International Student Orientation, and new students should reserve their seats in advance.

Accommodation Resources

For information on options for accommodations near campus, please visit DePauw’s local lodging information page.

Social Security Card

International students who have been offered either on-campus or off-campus employment may apply for a Social Security Number. If you do not have a job or job offer, you cannot apply for a Social Security Number. International students must wait two full weeks from their date of entry into the U.S. before applying for a Social Security Number with the Social Security Administration.The closest Social Security Administration office is located in Crawfordsville, Indiana. Follow the link below to learn more about the Social Security application process. Required documents to apply for a Social Security Card


All international students in F and J status must file a tax document with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) --regardless of whether you were paid wages or not. International Student Services offers a series of tax workshops during which students prepare all required tax return forms and receive assistance from trained staff members. Students must send their completed tax documents, along with any money owed, to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by April 15th of each year. Follow the link below to learn more about the tax requirement to stay in status as an international student.  Tax information for international students

Multipal RowRating
First Chek 1
Second Chek 2
Third Chek 3