Saturday, May 4, 2019
Green Center for the Performing Arts, Moore Theatre
Tickets are on sale now! $5 for students, $10 for adults
WHAT IS the spring spectacle of shakespeare?
The Spring Spectacle of Shakespeare is the culminating production of the DePauw Communication & Theatre course, Shakespeare in the Schools. It features back-to-back performances of Shakespeare plays directed by DePauw students in collaboration with and featuring Putnam County middle and high school students.
Shakespeare in the Schools/the Spring Spectacle of Shakespeare is offered in collaboration with a nationally recognized and awarded outreach program, the Fall Festival of Shakespeare, founded by Shakespeare & Company in Lenox, MA. Similar to that 30-year old program, DePauw student teams train in proven methods for teaching and directing Shakespeare prior to the residence of 3-days/week for 10 weeks in our Putnam County schools. The program has served as many as 175 Putnam County students in a given year.
• COLLABORATION: The program fosters and celebrates group creativity and support.
• COMMUNITY: Students from schools throughout the county are invited and inspired to gather for the goal of making new friends and sharing their creative work.
• LANGUAGE ENHANCEMENT: The program involves the tackling of difficult language. This inspires participating youth to embrace the power and beauty of language and to recognize how this exploration also reveals what it means to be human.
• STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT: Youth in the program work toward challenging, yet achievable goals as actors, stage managers, and technical assistants.
• HIGHER EDUCATION PURSUIT INSPIRATION: The program’s components, in particular the DePauw student mentors, provide inspiration for continuing education beyond high school.
• CELEBRATION: After a semester of diligence, the youth perform their play for family, friends, the school community, and other participating schools’ audiences. All are winners; there is no judging or awards.
the DePauw Curriculum
Shakespeare in the Schools is a DePauw University course that produces the Spring Spectacle. The course can be taken under four different prefixes ( COMM 291, COMM 401, EDU 290, and UNIV 39), and thus is repeatable for credit, as several students have found it rewarding enough to repeat for 2-3 years. No background in theatre or Shakespeare is required. As Shakespeare in the Schools is an arranged course (it is offered at a time that falls outside of regular DePauw course timebanks), DePauw students must obtain a SPAC code for admittance. Contact the program director/course instructor to discuss interest and obtain a SPAC code.