Instructional technology events on campus.
FITS Events for Fall 2018
DePauw's Faculty Instructional Technology Support (FITS) team is delighted to share our fall calendar of upcoming lunch workshop / discussion events!
We are especially excited this year to partner with the Tenzer Technology Center, which will be offering a series of co-themed student-facing workshops throughout the fall. Michael Boyles, the Center's director, will be leading some of this fall's FITS lunch discussions.
Please plan to attend as many of the FITS workshops as you like. RSVP links with dietary requests will be distributed as each event approaches.
- Thursday, September 6 - Five Things You Might Not Know You Can Do With Your Mobile Device - Jin Kim: Today’s mobile devices are incredible machines, but many of us miss out on some of their most useful functions. With the rising presence of mobile technologies everywhere, mobile tools and platforms for learning are also growing. After a brief demonstration of mobile technologies applicable to education, we will discuss how they can be used in your classroom to enhance teaching and learning. (RSVP)
- Thursday, September 20 - Using 360 Spherical Media to Create VR Tours - Michael Boyles: This workshop will detail a workflow for capturing a real-world 3D environment (e.g., a house, campus, small town, or historic site or building) and then using that digital media to prepare an interactive virtual tour. The capture equipment is portable so as to accommodate international travel. The resulting tour can be experienced using a mobile phone and shared via URL.
- Thursday, October 4 - Photogrammetry: What Is It and How Is It Being Used at DePauw? - Beth Wilkerson, Pedar Foss, Rebecca Kerns ('19): Build 3D models by stitching together 2D photographs. See how photogrammetry is being utilized as a visualization and research tool at DePauw. This session will include a presentation from Professor Pedar Foss and Rebecca Kerns ('19) showcasing their use of photogrammetry during their archaeological field work in Italy.
- Thursday, October 25 - Exploring Modern Virtual Reality - Michael Boyles: This session will provide an overview of modern virtual reality technology and then focus on the specific displays and workflows available here at DePauw. A number of applications representing a variety of disciplines will be highlighted. Participants will then be invited to try it out for themselves in the Tenzer Technology Center.
- Thursday, November 8 - Screencasting For Student Engagement - Veronica Pejril: Delivering lecture-type course content to students with videos on Moodle can open up opportunities for deeper engagement during your scheduled class time. Learn about the workflow and tools to create those videos and brainstorm about ways to use the found time with students for their success.
- Thursday, November 29 - Telling Your Story with Esri Story Maps - Beth Wilkerson: Everyone has a story to tell. See examples of how to use Esri Story Maps as a visualization tool for curricular, research, or even personal projects.
All FITS lunch workshop / discussion events will be held in the FITS Suite on the lower level of the Roy O. West Library from 11:35 a.m. - 1 p.m. Lunch will be provided courtesy of Myers' Market.
For scheduling FITS events into an existing Google Calendar, import the FITS calendar by typing in "email@example.com" under Other Calendars in the left-hand navigation bar in Google Calendar and then clicking on it, or ask FITS for help.
You can also download the FITS Google Calendar. We welcome suggestions for future events from individuals or departments.