Assessing and building quality collections in all formats.
- Works collaboratively with faculty to develop specific subject collections that support their instructional and research needs
- Sets goals and priorities for future collections and other management functions
- Evaluates gifts to the University Libraries acknowledged by the Director of Libraries
- Provides leadership in the development and implementation of policies and procedures
- Keeps faculty abreast of new publications in their fields of interest
- Develops and distributes information to aid faculty and librarians in the selection of resources
- Prepares periodic academic departmental reports of collection development progress
- Promotes collections through support of seminars, colloquia and speaker series
Collection Development Policy
Recommend a Purchase
Assessment & Management
- Special attention is given to the assessment of specific collections prior to internal or accreditation review.
- Evaluation of book donations to the library.
- Monitoring collection strengths and weaknesses.
- Managing Approval Plans.
- Identifying collections for de-selection, replacement, or preservation.
- Providing annual collection reports to departments.
- Facilitating faculty requests for resource acquisition.
Gifts/Donations to the Libraries
- Collection Development evaluates books donated to the DePauw University Libraries
- Gift books are accepted by the Director of Libraries in accordance with the Collection Development Policy and its guidelines.
- The following items are NOT added:
- Scattered or single issues of periodicals
- Materials in poor condition
- Titles which the libraries already own
- Outdated, superseded titles
- Books from subject areas not taught at the University