Centre tops DePauw in double overtime despite two game-tying threes by Stewart

Centre tops DePauw in double overtime despite two game-tying threes by Stewart

January 13, 2006


January 13, 2006, Greencastle, Ind. - Centre's Matt Nestheide hit two free throws with 3.1 seconds left in the second overtime and Stephen Schott's potential game-tying shot from the left wing glanced off the rim as the Colonels defeated DePauw, 90-88, in a Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference game at the Neal Fieldhouse.

The Tigers built as much as a six-point lead in the first half at 17-11 before Centre battled back to take a 42-35 halftime lead. That margin reached as many as 12 at 49-37 before the Tigers regained the lead briefly at 55-54 on Brian Oilar's three-pointer with 10:15 remaining in regulation that capped an 18-5 run.

Centre pushed the lead back to as many as six with just under six minutes to play, but the Tigers scored the next five to make it 63-62. The teams then exchanged baskets before Coy Zerhusen hit one of two free throws with 1:19 remaining to give Centre a 66-64 advantage. Nestheide hit two free throws with 25 seconds left in regulation to give the Colonels a 68-64 edge before Alex Stewart cut the margin to one with a three-pointer with 17 seconds left.

Thomas Britt knocked down a pair of free throws with 14 seconds remaining, but Stewart knotted the score at 70-70 with a three-pointer with six seconds left. The Colonels had a couple of chances to win in the closing seconds, but Nestheide's layup was blocked by Todd Capes and Coy Zerhusen's shot at the buzzer was off the mark.

Zerhusen gave Centre an 82-79 lead with a pair of free throws with 16 seconds left in the first overtime, but Stewart again nailed a three-pointer with eight seconds left to tie the contest. Austin Brown's steal at the end of the overtime forced a second extra session.

In the second overtime, Centre scored the first five points to take an 87-82 lead, but DePauw came back to tie the contest at 88-88 on Reid Sakel's bucket with 20 seconds left. After Nestheide's two free throws, the Tigers inbounded to near midcourt and then called a timeout with 2.4 seconds remaining. The Tigers got the ball to Schott, but his shot fell off the rim.

DePauw's Sakel led all scorers with a career-high 23 on 8-of-11 shooting from the floor including 5-of-7 from three-point range. Stewart followed with 16 and Schott added 15, while Matt McDonald and Todd Capes each scored 11 to round out the Tigers' double-figure scorers. Stewart scored eight of his points in the final 1:41 of regulation and three in the final eight seconds of the first overtime.

Nestheide paced Centre with 22 points, while Britt and Zerhusen each scored 16. Matt Jacobson followed with 15 and Reggie Magnusson added 11. Zerhusen recorded a double-double with a game-high 14 rebounds.

DePauw shot 48.5 percent for the game and hit 13 of 22 from three-point range, while the Colonels connected on 46.9 percent from the floor and nailed 10-of-20 three-point attempts. Centre hit 20-of-24 charity tosses and held a 38-32 advantage on the boards. In addition to Zerhusen's 14 boards, Magnusson grabbed eight. Schott paced the Tigers with seven rebounds, while McDonald blocked five shots.

Sakel and Austin Brown each dished out a game-high five assists and Brown added three steals. Nestheide paced the Colonels with four assists. The teams combined for just 11 turnovers with DePauw totaling five and Centre six.

DePauw, which dropped to 5-9 overall and 1-3 in the SCAC, hosts Sewanee on Sunday at 1 p.m., while Centre, 9-4 overall and 2-2 in the SCAC, travels to Rose-Hulman for a 1 p.m. contest on Sunday.