Bowman Gym Dedicated, Temporary Director of Athletics Named
March 8, 1916
March 8, 1916, Greencastle, Ind. - DePauw University's new $125,000 gymnasium was dedicated today, reports the New York Times, "with elaborate ceremonies, over which Charles W. Fairbanks, former Vice President of the United States, presided. Bishop William H. McDowell of Chicago delivered the dedicatory address. The gymnasium, which is to be known as the Bishop Thomas Bowman Memorial, is modern in every way, and in addition to the large gymnasium room it includes a swimming pool, bowling alleys, and the YMCA and YWCA rooms."
The same Times column, which appeared in the March 9 edition, notes, "Frederick W. Dixon, director of physical education and athletics at Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, has been appointed temporary director of athletics at DePauw University. B.A. McGlacklin, Dixon's assistant at Ohio Wesleyan, has been made assistant director of athletics at DePauw and is expected to succeed Dixon as director in a short time. Dixon still retains his position at Ohio Wesleyan and will only spend three days a week at DePauw."Back