Button Menu

Tigers Drop Double-Overtime Decision to Trinity in SCAC Quarterfinals

Tigers Drop Double-Overtime Decision to Trinity in SCAC Quarterfinals

February 29, 2008


February 29, 2008, Conway, Ark. - Trinity scored the first six points of the second overtime and knocked DePauw out of the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference Championship with an 82-77 quarterfinal win.

DePauw dropped to 19-7 with its second consecutive double overtime defeat, while Trinity advanced to the semifinals and improved to 18-8.

The Tigers trailed early in the game, but scored 18 straight to turn a four-point deficit into a 31-17 lead with just under five minutes left in the first half. DePauw's largest lead was 16 on two occasions before Trinity closed the gap to 37-29 at the intermission.

Trinity opened the second half with a 14-4 stretch and took a 43-41 lead, but the lead changed hands six more times with six ties before the end of regulation.

B.J. Moon's three-pointer with the shot clock running down and 1:04 left in regulation gave Trinity a 64-61 lead, but Brian Oilar's three with 43.9 seconds left knotted the score.  Moon's three-point attempt with 12 seconds left was off the mark and DePauw grabbed the rebound.

DePauw appeared to take a three-point lead after Mike Moore buried a three, but the Tigers' bench had signaled for a timeout just prior to the shot. Following the timeout with 4.5 seconds left, Moore's three-pointer rattled in and out forcing overtime.

Stephen Schott hit two DePauw free throws with 48 seconds left in the first overtime which tied the score at 68-68 and Moon was called for traveling with 31.8 seconds remaining. The Tigers got the ball in the hands of Oilar, but Nick Polidforoff blocked his attempt at a game-winning three from the corner.

In the second extra session, Barrett Koch hit a jumper and two free throws and Luke Caldarera added two charity tosses to make it 74-68 with 3:15 left. The Tigers later drew within three at 78-75 on Oilar's three with 27.5 seconds left and Moon hit one of two free throws with 25.8 seconds left to push Trinity's lead to four.

Ryan Werntz missed a three with 13 seconds left and Koch drained one of two free throws with 9.3 seconds remaining which pushed the margin to five.

Moore led all scorers with 24 points and dished out a game-high seven assists, while Oilar posted a double-double of 15 points and 11 rebounds. Schott added 14 and Werntz followed with 10.

Koch paced Trinity with 21 points, while Moon added 20 points. Caldaera followed with 15 points and Charles Houston added a double-double of 14 points and 10 boards.

Trinity held a 40-37 edge on the boards and committed just eight turnovers.