DePauw Remains Unbeaten after 27-20 SCAC Win over Sewanee

DePauw Remains Unbeaten after 27-20 SCAC Win over Sewanee

September 27, 2008


September 27, 2008, Greencastle, Ind. - DePauw jumped out to a 24-0 first-half lead and had to withstand a late Sewanee comeback on the way to a 27-20 Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference victory at Blackstock Stadium.

The Tigers improved to 3-0 overall and 2-0 in the SCAC, while Sewanee dropped to 2-2 overall and 1-1 in the conference.

Sewanee closed the gap to 27-20 with 4:18 left after Patrick Shelton completed a 4-yard scoring pass to Jacob Adams which capped a 13-play, 60-yard drive.

After forcing DePauw to punt, Sewanee took over on its own 11 with 1:56 left. Shelton kept the drive alive after converting a fourth-down pass to Bruce Bentley to the Sewanee 44. 

They drove to the DePauw 24 and were faced with fourth down before Shelton's pass to the end zone was batted away by DePauw freshman cornerback Steve Valdiserri with 15 seconds remaining. The Tigers were able to run out the clock and preserve their seventh straight win dating back to last October.

"It was an ugly win, but a lot of credit goes to Sewanee and their coaches and how they performed today," DePauw head coach Matt Walker said.

The Tigers took a 3-0 lead when they drove the Sewanee 5 on their first possession and Jordan Havercamp booted a 22-yard field goal with 11:22 left in the first.

DePauw fumbled a punt return giving Sewanee the ball at the DePauw 30, but Alex Fitch later blocked Andrew Gould's 24-yard field goal. The Tigers lost another fumble four plays later and Sewanee drove to the DePauw 11. Tigers' linebacker Kyle Sherer pounced on a Sewanee bad snap and DePauw took over on its own 15.

Spud Dick completed a 53-yard pass play to Brayden Dahlstrom to the Sewanee 23 before Ellis rushed for 14 and eight yards, respectively, to the Sewanee 1. Dick then made it 10-0 with a 1-yard keeper with 14:07 left in the half.

Valdiserri intercepted Shelton's second down pass on the the next series and returned it to the Sewanee 4. Dick and Brad Paus later teamed for a 3-yard scoring pass making it 17-0 with 11:42 remaining in the half.

The DePauw defense forced another three-and-out and the Tigers were able to start the next drive on the Sewanee 41. Ellis carried for 16 to the Sewanee 25 before Dick tossed a 25-yard scoring pass to Elijah Campbell to push the lead to 24-0 with 9:08 left in the half.

Sewanee's lone points of the half came after Chalankis Brown picked off Dick at his own 3 and raced 97 yards for the touchdown.

Midway through the third Sewanee drove to the DePauw 1, but the Tigers stopped them on three straight plays. Sewanee closed the gap to 24-14 early in the fourth when Shelton connected with Murphy on a 3-yard pass with 13:27 left.

On the ensuing series, the Tigers drove 71 yards to the Sewanee 4 before Havercamp nailed a 21-yard field goal to make it 27-14 with 9:09 remaining.

Ellis led the Tigers with 101 rushing yards in 23 carries for his second straight 100-yard game. Dick completed 14 of 25 passes for 212 yards and two touchdowns with four passes each going to Dahlstrom and Paus.

Shelton paced Sewanee with 68 rushing yards in 12 attempts, while throwing for 153 yards and two scores. Murphy led with six catches for 48 yards.

Ryan Pruess led the Tigers with 10 tackles including the goal line stop in the third. Kyle Sherer followed with nine stops, while Alex Fitch blocked an extra point and a field goal on the afternoon.

Tyler Brantley paced Sewanee with 10 tackles with Brown and Alfonza Knight finishing with eight apiece.

DePauw outgained Sewanee 369-305 after holding a 287-69 edge in the first half. The Tigers committed four turnovers on the afternoon.

"We didn't play particulary well today, but we're really pleased being 3-0 headed to Jackson," Walker said.

DePauw travels to Millsaps on Saturday, October 4, where it faces the Majors in a 1 p.m. CDT contest.