#30 Wheaton Advances to NCAA Women's Tennis Second Round with Win over Baldwin-Wallace
May 12, 2011
May 12, 2011, Greencastle, Ind. — The 30th-ranked Wheaton Thunder advanced to the NCAA Division III
Women's Tennis Championship second round following a 5-0 win over
Baldwin-Wallace in today's opening match at DePauw's Blackstock Courts.
The Thunder face 17th-ranked DePauw on Friday at 10 a.m.
Wheaton's number-one doubles team of Elizabeth Worsowicz and Sara Federschmidt scored the Thunder's first point with an 8-0 win over the Yellow Jackets' Caitlyn Pecinovsky and Rebecca Mittler.
Sarah Ray and
Kirsten Boyer extended the lead to 2-0 with an 8-3 win at number-three
doubles over Katy Marshall and Morgan Baker before Lindsey Hallett and
Marissa Shults completed the doubles sweep at the number two slot with
an 8-2 victory over Jenny Greene and Emily Pelosi.
The Thunder wrapped up the match in quick fashion as Shults topped Baker 6-2 6-1 at the number-six slot and Ray defeated Pelosi at number four 6-2, 6-0.
Baldwin-Wallace College vs Wheaton College
5/12/2011 at Greencastle, Indiana
#30 Wheaton College 5, Baldwin-Wallace College 0
1. Elizabeth Worsowicz (WHEATON) vs. Caitlyn Pecinovsky (BW-W) 6-2, 3-3, unfinished
2. Sara Federschmidt (WHEATON) vs. Rebecca Mittler (BW-W) 6-1, 5-1, unfinished
3. Lindsey Hallett (WHEATON) vs. Jenny Greene (BW-W) 6-1, 0-1, unfinished
4. Sarah Ray (WHEATON) def. Emily Pelosi (BW-W) 6-2, 6-0
5. Kirsten Boyer (WHEATON) vs. Katy Marshall (BW-W) 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
6. Marissa Shults (WHEATON) def. Morgan Baker (BW-W) 6-2, 6-1
1. Elizabeth Worsowicz/Sara Federschmidt (WHEATON) def. Caitlyn Pecinovsky/Rebecca Mittler (BW-W) 8-0
2. Lindsey Hallett/Marissa Shults (WHEATON) def. Jenny Greene/Emily Pelosi (BW-W) 8-2
3. Sarah Ray/Kirsten Boyer (WHEATON) def. Katy Marshall/Morgan Baker (BW-W) 8-3
Baldwin-Wallace College 18-8
Wheaton College 21-2; National ranking #30
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,4)
NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championship First Round
Wheaton advances to second round match against DePauw on Friday at 10 a.m.