Red Wolves Strong Second Half Start Sends Tigers to Defeat

Red Wolves Strong Second Half Start Sends Tigers to Defeat

December 5, 2011


December 5, 2011, Greencastle, Ind. — Visiting Indiana East used a 15-2 run early in the second half to pull away from DePauw and then held on in the closing minutes for a 79-66 win over the Tigers. DePauw dropped to 5-2, while the Red Wolves improved to 9-1 with their school-record ninth straight win.

Indiana East built an early seven-point lead after scoring 10 straight, but DePauw later knotted the score at 26-26 on back-to-back three-pointers by Tommy Weakley and Sean Haseley. The Red Wolves regained the lead, but DePauw closed the half with Michael Wilkison's three-point play and Pat Haggin's tip-in at the buzzer to grab a 31-28 advantage.

The guests scored the first seven of the second half and put together an 18-2 run to grab a 46-33 lead with 14:51 left. That margin reached as many as 16 at 71-55 after Tyler Fangman's layup with 4:@7 remaining.

Haseley nailed consecutive threes before Barry Flynn converted a three-point play and capped an 11-0 run with a fast break dunk to close the gap to 71-66. Indiana East called a timeout and then proceeded to score the game's final eight points.

Haseley led the Tigers with a season-high 21 pints, while Flynn posted his second straight double-double with 17 points and a career-high 12 rebounds. Wilkison added 12 points and shared team-high assist honors with Haseley as each had four.

Matt Trimmell led the Red Wolves with 20 points followed by Marcus Isaac with 19 and Huston Clark with 12. Clark grabbed seven rebounds and David Sanders dished out seven assists in the win.

DePauw shot 45.6 percent from the floor to Indiana East's 53.4 percent. The Red Wolves hit 62.5 percent of their second-half shots on the way to a 51-point half. Indiana East also held a 34-26 edge on the boards and outscored the Tigers, 20-6, in points off of turnovers.

The Tigers return to action on Saturday, December 10, when they host Ohio Wesleyan in a North Coast Athletic Conference game at 3 p.m.