DePauw Football Drops Home Finale

DePauw Football Drops Home Finale

November 3, 2012


Greencastle, Ind. - After DePauw grabbed a 12-6 lead midway through the second quarter, visiting Denison scored 33 unanswered points and handed DePauw a 39-20 North Coast Athletic Conference defeat in the Tigers' final home game of 2012 at Blackstock Stadium.

DePauw dropped to 2-7 overall and 1-5 in NCAC play, while the Big Red improved to 3-6 overall and 3-3 in NCAC play. The Tigers wrap up the season next Saturday at Wabash in the 119th meeting with the Little Giants and 81st for possession of the Monon Bell.

The game started 40 minutes late due to a pair of lightning delays, but the later start didn't seem to bother the Tigers as they took the opening kickoff and drove to the Denison 13. However, Eric Malm's 30-yard field goal was blocked by Pat Foley.

DePauw took a 6-0 lead on its second series as Drew Seaman teamed with Bobby Coburn for a 34-yard touchdown pass with 7:40 left in the first. Seaman started the 3-play drive with a 7-yard pass to Jackson Kirtley and a 26-yard strike to Nikko Sansone. A high snap on the PAT forced holder Robby Schuler to grab the ball and run, but he was stopped shy of the goal line.

Denison tied the contest early in the second as quarterback Max Paulus teamed with Steven Lilley for a 5-yard scoring pass. The point-after was off the mark.

The Big Red had the ball near midfield on their next possession and Paulus was trying to pick up a first down on a third-and-six, but DePauw linebacker Jack Quinn forced a fumble which Mitch Dwenger picked up at the DePauw 45 and ran down the right sideline for a touchdown. The PAT was blocked and the Tigers held a 12-6 lead with 7:42 left in the half.

Denison countered with a 7-play, 62-yard drive capped by Sam Fioroni's 6-yard touchdown run and the Big Red extended the lead to 19-12 on Paulus' 20-yard scoring pass to Fioroni with 1:05 remaining in the half.

Fioroni rushed for 38 yards on the opening play of the second half and two plays later reached paydirt on a 14-yard run to push the lead to 25-12.

Paulus scored on a 4-yard keeper on the Big Red's next possession tp make it 32-12. The drive included a 48-yard pass play from Paulus to Nick Keller on third down.

On the Tigers' next series, Seaman completed consecutive passes to Taylor Wagner for 26 and 15 yards, respectively.  A rush for no gain on first down followed by three straight incomplete passes gave the ball back to the Big Red.

Paulus and Lilley teamed for a 7-yard scoring pass midway through the fourth and the Tigers tacked on their final score when Justin Murray teamed with Wagner for a 6-yard score. Murray connected with D.J. Steward for the two-point conversion. DePauw recovered the on-side kick, but its drive stalled at the Denison 19.

Denison outgained DePauw, 456-338 and held a 211-(-13) advantage in rushing yards. 

Seaman completed 20-of-43 passes for 255 yards, while Murray was 6-of-14 for 96 yards. Wagner caught six passes for 100 yards, while Coburn and Sansone each had five catches. Sansone finished with 227 all-purpose yards including 159 yards on six kickoff returns.

Fioroni rushed for 147 yards on 28 carries with two touchdowns and also caught six passes for 54 yards and one score. Paulus completed 17-of-29 passes for 245 yards and three scores.

Cody Crook led DePauw with 13 tackles, while Quinn added 12. Dwenger led with 2.0 tackles for loss and shared the team lead with Indi Lavarias as each had 1.0 sacks.

Alec Fultz paced Denison with seven tackles. Nat Kell and Nate Schneider each had five tackles with Teddy Kuntz pacing the team with 2.0 sacks. The Big Red sacked DePauw five times.

For more information on the DePauw football program, follow DePauw on Twitter (@DePauwAthletics / @DePauwTigersfb) or like them on Facebook (