Tigers Tally Two NCAC Tournament Titles in Two Tries

Tigers Tally Two NCAC Tournament Titles in Two Tries

November 3, 2012


Delaware, Ohio – DePauw defeated defending NCAA men’s soccer champion Ohio Wesleyan on penalty kicks (4-2) to claim the North Coast Athletic Conference Tournament championship for the second time in as many years in front of 1,022 fans on Saturday at Roy Rike Field.

The Tigers record moved to 13-1-5 and gained the conference’s automatic NCAA Championship bid with the victory on PK’s. DePauw will be making their 10th Division III postseason appearance. The NCAA Division III men’s soccer selection show can be seen as it is released on Monday, November 5 at 1 p.m. (ET) at NCAA.com.

This was the first game in DePauw University men’s soccer history that was decided on penalty kicks. Moreover, it was just the third NCAC Tournament championship game to be decided on PK’s (2004, 2007).

After the teams battled through 110 minutes of scoreless play, Andrew Desmarais sent the Tigers to the NCAA Championship after he secured the victory on a PK blast, beating Battling Bishops goalkeeper, Paul Hendricks.

Adrian Ables was once again a terror for opposing defenses, nearly capitalizing on multiple attempts throughout the match, leading both teams by putting a trio of shots on net.

DePauw was outshot 27-12, yet were even with the Battling Bishops in attempts on goal (6-6). Additionally, while Ohio Wesleyan outshot the Tigers 15-2 in the second stanza, DePauw countered with more shots (6-4) in the two overtime periods. Ohio Wesleyan led in corner kicks, 14-5.

Tony Halterman was once again stellar in between the pipes for DePauw, stopping six shots during the match including coming up big during the PK portion of the contest. Hendricks of Ohio Wesleyan mirrored Halterman with six saves in the match.

For more information on the DePauw men’s soccer program, follow DePauw on Twitter (@DePauwAthletics / @DePauwSoccer) or like them on Facebook (www.facebook.com/DePauwAthletics).