Tenzer Technology Center Director
DePauw University, a top-tier small liberal arts college located in Greencastle, Indiana, seeks to hire an inaugural full-time Director for its Tenzer Technology Center. Reporting to the Vice-President for Academic Affairs, the Director will work at the intersection of technology, visualization and the liberal arts, working within the University’s commitment to inclusive excellence across a diverse student body.
The Director will provide leadership as the University designs, equips and opens the Center and will launch programming and skills workshops that will enhance the technology and computing capabilities of students who are interested in academic disciplines in STEM fields, the social sciences, the arts, the humanities, and in interdisciplinary areas. The Director will work with faculty and staff to foster an inclusive environment for all DePauw students, developing strategies, for example, for engaging first-generation students and members of underrepresented populations.
The Center will provide state of the art facilities for collaborative research and activities related to technology, computation and especially visualization, such as an immersion room, analytics tools and software, and equipment for 3D modeling. The Center will collaborate with other departments, programs, and centers in proactively engaging students in projects and faculty-student collaborative research and promoting discussion of contemporary issues in technology and society such as digital citizenship, data and ethics, the politics of visualization, and more.
In particular, the Director will partner with the directors of the Prindle Institute for Ethics, the Pulliam Center for Contemporary Media, the McDermond Center for Management and Entrepreneurship, and the Hartman House for Community Service, and the Hubbard Center for Student Engagement to implement dynamic collaborations. The Director will work closely with Faculty Instructional Technology Support (FITS), the Roy O. West Library, and the Information Technology Associates Program.
The Director will provide guidance and training for students in all disciplines who want to integrate visualization techniques, data analysis and other computational approaches into their academic coursework and co-curricular activities in ways that enhance their technology and critical thinking skills. Toward this end, the Director will manage and be directly involved in all Center initiatives such as developing and running workshops, organizing presentations, facilitating guest speakers, collaborating with faculty members and departments, and offering programming to the local community. The Director will also teach courses in which students will learn how to apply visualization and other technology or computational topics to a broad set of problems and areas of study.
The Director will develop and employ formative and summative assessment mechanisms that measure the effectiveness of Center and its programming.
- MS or PhD in a field such as visualization, data analytics, data science, big data, digital art, computer science or another field that uses computational techniques preferred. MS or PhD degree in other fields, with significant academic or industry experience in visualization, data analytics or other computational areas seriously considered.
- Experience with current computational and data analysis tools and techniques, including tools and techniques related to visualization.
- A passion for collaborating with faculty and students from disciplines across the liberal arts and sciences.
- Undergraduate level teaching experience preferred. Other types of experience directly mentoring undergraduates considered.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and experience working independently, as a team member, and as a team leader.
- Candidates should provide evidence, in application materials, of a commitment to fostering and engaging with a diversity of ideas and experiences, which create an inclusive environment in the classroom and at the University.
DePauw is partnering with the search firm Momentum LLC ( http://www.in-momentum.com/home/ ) for this search. Applicants should review information and application instructions here: www.in-momentum.com/job-postings/tenzer-technology-center-director
DePauw University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Women and members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.