DePauw Collaborative on High Risk Drinking
The DePauw Collaborative is a group comprised of students, faculty, staff and alumni as well as a representative from DePauw Health. The Collaborative focuses its work on evidence based initiatives that reduce high risk drinking on campus.
In 2011 DePauw participated in a national collaborative along with 32 other institutions of higher education. During that time we learned the importance of basing our work on reducing high risking drinking in a public health model where interventions that have been proven to be effective are implemented, tested and put into action. We have continued that work with the DePauw Collaborative, a group of students, staff, faculty and Greek alumni.
The members of the Collaborative use the CollegeAIM, a matrix of evidence-based strategies from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) to select a set of initiatives for the academic year. During the course of the year, the Collaborative members work through the plans to implement each CollegeAIM initiative, whether it is an individual-level or environmental-level.
DePauw Collaborative members for 2017-18:
- Dorian Shager, Dean of Campus Life (co-chair)
- Julia Sutherlin, Assistant Dean of Campus Life and Director of Alcohol Initiatives (co-chair)
- Stevie Baker-Watson, Associate Vice President for Campus Wellness and Director of Athletics
- Charles Behr, '19, student
- Susanne Biehle, Assistant Professor of Psychology and Neuroscience
- Mandy Brookins Blinn, Assistant Dean of Experiential Learning and Director of Off-Campus Programs
- Kristin Champa, '91, Associate Vice President for Alumni Engagement
- Elizabeth Getz, '18, student
- Dave Guinee, Professor of Classical Studes
- Dr. David Harsha, Medical Director of DePauw Health
- Andrew Hayes, Professor of Communication and Theatre
- Myrna Hernandez, Dean of Students
- Alan Hill, '81, Vice President for Student Academic Life and Dean of Experiential Learning
- Breanna Kloczkowski, '19, student
- Jennifer Kopecky, '08, Greek alumnus
- Charlene Shrewsbury, Interim Director of Public Safety
- Nick Stepaniak, Coordinator for Campus Living and Community Development
- Dominique "DJ" Steward, '15, Greek alumnus
- Dakota "Cody" Watson, '15, Greek alumnus
The DePauw Collaborative grounds its work in the philosophy developed by the team that participated in the national collaborative:
In order to further enhance the intellectual life at DePauw University, we recognize that we must change the reality that alcohol consumption is a significant part of the student social culture. We commit ourselves to building a community that values, teaches and models healthy and responsible life choices and to creating a healthy, safe and comfortable environment for all students whether they choose to drink or not. We are also committed to producing responsible graduates, who, if they chose to drink while a student, developed responsible habits. We aim to develop a campus culture that challenges dangerous behavior, and as such, our greatest efforts are directed towards curbing high-risk alcohol use.