Accessible off W. Walnut Street, just west of Greencastle.
The DePauw Nature Park consists of 520 acres of forest, fields, and abandoned limestone quarry. The park has 10 miles of walking trails, a primitive campground, and an outdoor classroom. There are connecting trails that link the main campus and the Nature Park.
The Nature Park is also home to the Janet Prindle Institute of Ethics, the Ian and Mimi Roland Welcome and Activities Center, the Manning Environmental Filed Station, and the James and Sue Bartlett Reflection Center.
Hanson Aggregates donated most of the land for the park to DePauw in 2003. DePauw purchased adjacent acreage. The property was the site of an active limestone quarry from 1917 to 1977. The limestone rock began forming 350 million years ago from the remains of animals living on the bottom of an inland sea that covered this region.
Sun shines through the trees at the DePauw Nature Park.
The basin of the quarry at the DePauw Nature Park.