Margaret Gilmore was Assistant Librarian from 1909-1912 and 1914-1934. In 1913 she was Acting Librarian. She was in charge of the daily operation of the library until the arrival of the first professional librarian, Vera Cooper, in 1931. Maggie Gilmore, as she was known in her earlier years, lived at 201 West Walnut Street, Greencastle. In 1909 Dr. Salem B. Town asked her to fill in as assistant librarian for about a month while they looked for a permanent replacement in that position. The month turned into 25 years. Miss Gilmore was universally loved by the students whose names she remembered years later when they would visit for reunions. It was she who suggested to the members of the class of 1909 that they make a grandfather clock their class gift to the university, a suggestion they accepted. The clock sat in the reading room at the Carnegie and Roy O. West libraries for decades. It now is located in the Archives on the second floor of Roy O. West Library. At her retirement in 1937, Margaret Gilmore went to live with her brother and sister-in-law at 201 South Vine Street, a house later relocated to the northeast corner of Jackson Street and Memorial Highway in Greencastle. Following her retirement she traveled to California and then took a steamer to Hawaii where resident alumni showed her around Oahu.