Doctor of Dental Surgery, D.D.S.
Treating diseases and other conditions that affect the teeth and gums.
LENGTH OF PROGRAM
Dental School: 4 years
Specialties (i.e. orthodontics) require additional education after dental school is complete.
Schools may require English, cell biology, genetics, math, social sciences, humanities and/or other courses. Check directly with those schools and the AEDA Official Guide to Dental School.
|1 Year of General Biology||Biology 101
Molecules, Genes and Cells
Evolution, Organisms & Ecology
|1 Year of General Chemistry||Chemistry 130
Structure & Properties of Inorganic Compounds w/ Lab
Thermodynamics, Equilibrium & Kinetics w/ Lab
|1 Year Organic Chemistry||Chemistry 120
Structure & Properties of Organic Molecules w/ Lab
|1 Year Physics||Physics 120
Principles of Physics I w/ Lab
Principles of Physics II w/ Lab
For admittance directly after DePauw: Prerequisite courses completed by the end of junior year; apply the summer before senior year.
For Gap Year: Prerequisite courses completed by the end of senior year; apply summer after senior year.
- Available in June
- Each school selects an application deadline, so confirm the deadline with the school.
- Apply early! Do not wait until the application deadline.
Dental Admission Test (DAT): Take after biology, all chemistry and physics courses are completed.
The DAT has four sections: Survey of the Natural Sciences (Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry), Perceptual Ability, Reading Comprehension and Quantitative Reasoning. The test takes approximately 5 hours to complete and is given virtually daily at Prometric Testing centers. Register for the online. You receive your scores immediately upon completion of the test.
Free and low-cost preparation materials:
- American Dental Association
- Check with the Hubbard Center
- Overall and science GPA, check AEDA Official Guide for details
- DAT scores, check AEDA Official Guide for details
- Extracurricular activities
- Dentistry-related experience
- Research experience
- Community service
- Leadership experiences
- Letters of recommendation- Often including one from a dentist
- Personal statement
- American Student Dental Association
- Summer Medical and Dental Education Program
- Student Doctor Network