Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, D.O.
Hands-on diagnosis and treatment through a system of treatment known as osteopathic manipulative medicine.
For descriptions of this profession, see: Become a Doctor - The Path to Becoming an Osteopathic Medical Doctor | AACOM, or Explore Health Careers
LENGTH OF PROGRAM
Medical School: 4 years
Residency: 3-7 years
Fellowships: 1-3 years
Schools may require English, cell biology, genetics, math, and/or other courses. Check directly with those schools and the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book.
|1 Year of General Biology||Biology 101
Molecules, Genes and Cells
Evolution, Organisms & Ecology
|1 Year of General Chemistry||Chemistry 130
Structure & Properties of Inorganic Compounds w/ Lab
Thermodynamics, Equilibrium & Kinetics w/ Lab
|1 Year Organic Chemistry||Chemistry 120
Structure & Properties of Organic Molecules w/ Lab
|1 Year Physics||Physics 120
Principles of Physics I w/ Lab
Principles of Physics II w/ Lab
|1 Semester Biochemistry||Chemistry 240
Structure & Function of Biomolecules w/ Lab
|Introductory Psychology & Sociology||Psychology 100
|Any social science course 100 Level|
For admittance directly after DePauw: Prerequisite courses completed by the end of junior year; Apply summer before senior year.
For Gap Year: Prerequisite courses completed by the end of senior year; Apply summer after senior year.
- Available in early May
- Submission date opens beginning of June
- Early decision deadline including transcript deadline August 1
Medical College Admission Test (MCAT): Take after biology, all chemistry, physics, psychology, sociology and biochemistry courses are completed.
The MCAT has four sections (Scale 118-132): Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems, Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems; Psychological, Social and Biological Foundations of Behavior, and Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills. The test takes approximately 7.5 hours to complete and is offered about 25 times throughout the year. See the website for the schedule and registration dates. Fee assistance my be available, so check with the Hubbard Center. You receive your scores 30-35 days after the test.
Free and low-cost preparation materials:
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- Check with the Hubbard Center
- Reserved books at Roy O. West Library
- Practice test (first one free)
- MCAT Essentials
- Overall and science GPA
- MCAT scores
- Extracurricular activities
- Medically-related experience
- Research experience
- Community service
- Leadership experiences
- Knowledge of and commitment to osteopathic medicine
- Letters of recommendation- Often including a letter from a D.O. and one from the Health Professions Adviser
- Personal statement
- American Osteopathic Association
- Student Osteopathic Medical Association
- Student National Medical Association
- American Medical Association
- American Medical Student Association
- Summer Health Professions Education Program
- Summer Enrichment Programs
- Summer Undergraduate Research Programs
- Student Doctor Network