Most award a Master's degree
Medical providers who are licensed to diagnose and treat illness and disease and to prescribe medication for patients.
LENGTH OF PROGRAM
Varies by school, but typically programs last 2 years.
Requirements vary by school. You can check the Physician Assistant Programs Directory. Generally, the coursework should include general biology, general chemistry, and sometimes organic chemistry, physics, human anatomy and physiology, statistics, social sciences, and humanities.
For admittance directly after DePauw: Prerequisite courses completed by the end of senior year; although, preference may be given to applicants who complete the required courses sooner. Apply summer between junior and senior years.
- Available mid-April
- Each school selects an application deadline, but they typically range from August through July. Confirm the deadline with the school.
- Schools not participating in CASPA, apply directly to the school.
- Apply early! Do not wait until the application deadline.
Usually the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) revised General Test, but can vary by school.
The GRE has three sections: Verbal Reasoning (Score 130-170), Quantitative Reasoning (130-170), and Analytical Writing (Score 0-6). The test takes approximately 4 hours to complete and is offered year-round at computer based test centers. You can register online. Unofficial scores are give on test day, with official scores available in 10-15 days.
Free and low-cost preparation materials:
- Check with the Hubbard Center
- GPA, check the Physician Assistant Programs Directory for numbers
- GRE scores, check the Physician Assistant Programs Directory for numbers
- Personal statement
- Letters of recommendation
- Health-related experience anywhere from 500-2000 hours, type and amount varies greatly by school. Check the Physician Assistant Programs Directory
- Interpersonal, communication, problem solving, critical thinking, and leadership skills
- Sincere desire to enter a helping healthcare profession
TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT, CALL 765-658-4622, OR EMAIL HUBBARD@DEPAUW.EDU