English majors develop close reading skills that allow them to draw powerful insights from books, films, and digital media. At DePauw, students engage with literature as a living, breathing art form. They make connections between texts and the world.
Our Kelly Writers Series brings award-winning writers such as Natalie Diaz and George Saunders to campus. We also offer numerous opportunities to pursue research interests—in some cases, students work side-by-side with a professor on a conference presentation or publication.
Our faculty guide students as they draft and revise a variety of papers, and this process creates superb writers. An English major combines reading, thinking, and communication skills: these form the foundation of an intellectual life and lead to exciting careers.
- Jane Austen
- Introduction to Creative Writing
- The Seven Deadly Sins
- Press A to Play: Videogame Narratives
- Introduction to Film
- Reading and Literature: Poetry, Fiction and Drama
- World Literature
- Reading Literature: Intercultural Perspectives
- News Writing and Editing
- Children’s Literature
- African-American Literature
- Medical Humanities
- Chaucer and His World
- Fiction, Poetry, and Screenwriting Workshops
- Digital Media Consultant
- Law (English Literature majors get the highest LSAT scores on campus)
- Health Services
- Public Relations
- Local or National Activism
- NGO Leadership
- Graduate School
Develop your creative potential and purpose.