DePauw University Mission Statement, updated in 2017:
DePauw University develops leaders the world needs through an uncommon commitment to the liberal arts.
DePauw's diverse and inclusive learning and living experience, distinctive in its rigorous intellectual engagement and its global and experiential learning opportunities, leads to a life of meaning and means. DePauw prepares graduates who support and create positive change in their communities and the world.
As a great place to learn, live and work, DePauw will become a university of choice and distinction known for the integration of its rigorous liberal arts curriculum and robust co-curriculum and its unique commitment to the success of each student.
- Student Focus
- Commitment to Excellence
DePauw's goals rest on President White's transcendent priorities, which are foundational to everything we do:
- An unparalleled student experience that, in the spirit of the best liberal arts tradition, intentionally integrates students’ academic and co-curricular learning.
- A strong community of educators with a deep commitment to teaching, scholarship, creative expression and co-curricular learning.
- A campus culture in which every student, regardless of identity, background or financial circumstances, thrives at DePauw and has full opportunity to participate in all aspects of a DePauw education.
- Strong partnerships with the city of Greencastle such that the city and the University continue to see ourselves as mutually intertwined.
- The financial health of our institution today and for the future, including the growth of our endowment.
- A resolute commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion made explicit to those whom we invite to join our community; we should not be afraid to publicly state these are aspirational values – that part of our learning environment is to figure out together what it means to study, work and live in a diverse, equitable and inclusive community.
- Freedom of Expression for all members of our campus community, which refers to the right to hold opinions without interference and includes the “freedom to seek, receive, and impart information and ideas of all kinds…orally, in writing, print, art or through any media. Also, verbal and nonverbal behaviors that express a person’s opinion, point of view or identity.”
Our Gold Within brand promise represents DePauw’s educational value proposition: our commitment to our students and graduates that DePauw's top-tier liberal arts and sciences education and co-curricular experiences prepare every student for personal and professional success. The pillars of that promise include gold standard academics, extraordinarily successful alumni, a culture that launches leaders, and a powerful network of support.