Tuition Waiver for Employees
Full-time, benefit status employees are eligible for Tuition Waiver at DePauw University under the following terms and conditions:
- This benefit covers tuition charges and audit fees. Health service fees, student activity fees, and information system fees will be waived. Fees not covered by this benefit include but are not limited to additional course fees, lab fees, books and supplies.
- Tuition Waiver applies to one class registration per semester not to exceed one course credit.
- Registration is allowed on a space available basis.
- An employee is eligible for Tuition Waiver with course credit or may audit a course for no course credit regardless of the degree(s) held.
- Due to the time commitment associated with the professional semester, this policy must exclude supporting the student teaching portion of the teacher certification program.
- Independent study courses and applied instruction courses are excluded from this benefit. Applied instruction courses include but are not limited to group and individual classes for music and dance.
- Continuation in the Tuition Waiver Program is contingent on making satisfactory academic progress.
- An employee is eligible for the Tuition Waiver benefit upon full-time, benefit status employment. If the employee becomes eligible after the course registration period is completed, eligibility for Tuition Waiver will begin the following semester. The dates of each course registration period are available from the Office of the Registrar.
- The employee’s supervisor will approve or deny the request for Tuition Waiver based upon the ability to release the employee from job responsibilities during regular working hours.
- Time missed from work to attend class must be made up unless the course is job related and is taken at the request of the employee’s supervisor. Time missed from work must be made up within the same work week. The hourly employee’s time report must reflect actual hours worked per day.
- An employee interested in Tuition Waiver must request an “Application for Tuition Waiver” from the Office of Human Resources. This form must be completed by the employee and the employee’s supervisor and then returned to the Office of Human Resources prior to registration.
- The Office of Human Resources will verify eligibility for Tuition Waiver and process the application.
- If the employee is eligible for Tuition Waiver, one copy of the approved application will be forwarded to each of the following: Office of the Registrar, Cash Receipts Office.
- If the employee is not eligible for Tuition Waiver, the Office of Human Resources will notify the employee.
- An employee seeking a DePauw University degree should apply to the Office of Admission.
- A non-degree seeking employee (including an employee working towards a teacher certification) should apply as a special student to the Office of the Registrar.
- After notification of approval for Tuition Waiver, the employee must register for the course with the Office of the Registrar during the dates specified by that office and before the last day to drop or add a class. The dates of each course registration period are available from the Office of the Registrar.
- If an employee registered under this benefit withdraws from a course, the employee must notify the Office of the Registrar in writing of the withdrawal. The Office of the Registrar will end a copy of the withdrawal notice to the Cash Receipts Office and the Office of Human Resources. If the employee fails to properly withdraw from the course, the employee will be invoiced for the full tuition for the course.