Information for New Faculty
Welcome to DePauw! We’re excited to have you as a colleague.
To help you prepare for the new school year, we've designed this webpage with information about opening week activities, new faculty orientation, and other resources you may find useful.
Please mark the events on your calendar, and if you have questions, please contact us in Academic Affairs at 765-658-4359.
UPON YOUR ARRIVAL
- Office Keys -- Julia Proctor will contact you when your keys are ready for pick-up. Please contact Julia at with any questions.
- Syllabi Preparation -- As you finalize the syllabi for your courses, please consult the "Tips for Planning Your Course" as well as the Final Exam Schedule for important dates and policies. You may also wish to consult the Faculty Development Teaching Strategies page for helpful information about inclusive pedagogies.
RENTING ACADEMIC REGALIA -- BY Friday, July 21, 2023
July 21 is the deadline for ordering regalia for the August 19, 2023 Opening Convocation of the 2023-2024 academic year (see below for further information). All full-time faculty members are expected to participate in the procession wearing academic regalia. If you need to rent academic regalia for this event, please contact the manager of Eli's Bookstore, either by phone (765-653-0618) or e-mail. The bookstore is located within walking distance of campus at 6 E. Washington Street, adjacent to the Starbucks in the downtown square.
New Faculty Orientation:
- Wednesday, August 3: Pre-recorded New Faculty Orientation sessions available today to introduce you to our Information Services team, including the Library and FITS.
- Monday, August 14, 8:30am - 4:30pm: Human Resources and technology orientation for all new faculty and staff. Lunch with chairs/program directors provided.
- Our Benefits Guide can be found here. Please review the Guide to get the most out of your benefits session on the afternoon of August 15th.
- Tuesday, August 15, 8:30am - 5:30pm: New faculty orientation hosted by Jen Adams, Faculty Development Coordinator and Chair of Communication and Theatre. Continental breakfast and lunch provided.
- Wednesday, August 16, 9:00am - 3:45pm: New faculty orientation hosted by Jen Adams, Faculty Development Coordinator and Chair of Communication and Theatre. Continental breakfast and lunch provided, and the afternoon ends with a Meet and Greet Social hosted by DePauw President Lori White.
FACULTY STAFF WELCOME CONVOCATION: FRIDAY, AUGUST 18, 2023
To formally gather as a community to mark the start of a new academic year. President White will welcome our new and returning colleagues to the university and share university updates. A virtual option will also be available. The day will begin with a coffee and tea hour and lunch will also be provided.
NEW STUDENT MOVE-IN AND CONVOCATION: SATURDAY, AUGUST 19, 2023
August 20th is the official move in day for the majority of our new students. New Student Convocation to celebrate and welcome our newest students to DePauw will occur that afternoon. Additional details regarding the Convocation program are forthcoming.
FIRST DAY OF CLASSES -- WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 23, 2023