- DePauw University signed and returned to the Department, the Certification and Agreement to apply for funding under Section 18004(a)(1) of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Acts (CARES Act) on April 22, 2020. The University intends to use no less than 50 percent of the funds received to provide emergency financial aid grants to students.
- The University was approved and received $787,264 in funding from the Department on May 9, 2020 to award as emergency financial aid grants to students.
- The University approved a plan of distribution of funds to students and as of June 30, 2020 all $787,264 has been awarded to eligible students.
- An estimated 1,235 students were determined to be eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in the Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- At least 1,067 students received an emergency financial aid grant.
- All FAFSA filing Pell eligible students received a payment of $1,100 per student and all FAFSA filing non-Pell eligible students whose expected family contribution does not exceed the cost of attendance at the University during the 19-20 academic year received $500 per student.
- Students were provided instructions on the usage of the funds via notification from the Financial Aid Office and instructed to use the funds for expenses related to the disruption of campus due to the coronavirus.
HEERF II -- 2021 Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA).
DePauw University awarded $786,200 to for emergency student funding under the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERFII) - Section 314(e) of the 2021 Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA).
By the week of April 19, 2021, DePauw had distributed all available funds to eligible students under Section 314(e) of the 2021 CRRSSA.
Based on completed 2020-21 FAFSAs, there were approximately 952 students at DePauw who were eligible for HEERF II emergency student funding. As of April 12, 2021, a total of 669 eligible students applied for and received an emergency financial aid grant under HEERF II. The remaining eligible students will be issued a check for the amount they are eligible to receive.
The method used by DePauw University to determine which students received emergency funding under Section 314(e) of the 2021 CRRSA was an online application. Preference was given to students with highest need according to 2020-21 FAFSA. Awards were determined by level of Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and ranged between $600 and $1,300 per student. The application closed on April 9, 2021.
Emails containing all basic eligibility criteria and a link to the application were sent to all potentially eligible DePauw University students who were enrolled for spring 2021 to inform them of the funding application.