Determining Reasonable Housing Accommodations
- Housing assignment and the residential learning environment are integral parts of campus life at DePauw University. It is the goal of DePauw University to provide a safe and healthy campus living environment. Reasonable accommodations can be issued in order to maximize student potential by ensuring equal access to both the campus living and academic environments.
- Request for Housing Accommodation(s) should begin with: Student Disability Services; Memorial Student Union Building, 408 S. Locust St. Suit 200; Greencastle, IN 46135; Fax: (765) 658-4021; Phone: (765) 658-6267; firstname.lastname@example.org
- The student must complete a confidential Self-Disclosure Form requesting in detail housing accommodation(s) needed and why. The Self-Disclosure Form can be delivered by the student; scanned and emailed to email@example.com or faxed to the confidential fax (765.658.4021).
- Supporting Documentation is also needed to clarify and validate the accommodation(s) being requested. Documentation can submitted from the student's physician psychologist etc. Documentation can be delivered by the student personally, mailed, or scanned and emailed to: Student Disability Services; Memorial Student Union Building, 408 S. Locust St. Suit 200; Greencastle, IN 46135; Fax: (765) 658-4021; Phone: (765) 658-6267; firstname.lastname@example.org
- In addition to a diagnosis, it is necessary for the service provider address the following questions as they relate to the request for Housing Accommodations:
- Is the impact of the condition life threatening if the request is not met?
- Is there a negative health impact that may be permanent if the request is not met?
- Is the request an integral component of a treatment plan fro the condition in question?
- What is the likely impact on academic performance if the request is not met?
- What is the likely impact on the student's level of comfort if the request is not met?
- The Self-Disclosure Form and supporting documentation must be submitted to Student Disability Services before accommodation(s) can be determined. All Housing Accommodations are determined on a case by case basis.
- The Student Disability Director will review the request for accommodation(s) and all supporting documentation to determine if reasonable and appropriate accommodation(s) necessary for the student.
- The director and student will discuss needs and accommodation(s), and "ADA Letter of Housing Accommodation" will be issued from Student Disability Services. Specific accommodations are listed, but diagnostic information will remain confidential.
- An "ADA Letter of Accommodation" will be released to those offices at DePauw who will coordinate with the student to meet the needed accommodations.
- Student Disability Services does not assign specific housing locations. It is important to keep in mind that what we are accommodating is the disability and not the student's social needs, such as roommates and/or preferences, such as a specific residence hall. The director validates and determines the housing accommodation(s) necessary for the student, but not the location where the accommodation will be met or specific roommates.