A DePauw Education
Nationally recognized for a distinctive liberal arts approach that links intellectual rigor with life's work, DePauw University prepares graduates who creatively address the challenges of the world.
DePauw is a coeducational, residential liberal arts institution. The University offers a Bachelor of Arts degree with majors in the arts, humanities, sciences and social sciences. In addition, there are three degree options within the School of Music.
The study of the liberal arts provides a foundation for a lifetime of learning, intellectual challenge and personal growth. At DePauw, it allows students to explore widely and come to appreciate how different ways of knowing may interact, yet it also encourages sustained and focused inquiry. Through the program of general education, students not only learn about, but also participate in, a variety of artistic, humanistic and scientific endeavors. Majors encourage students to understand what it means to master a subject or area of knowledge.
A DePauw education means more than gathering knowledge. It emphasizes critical thinking, problem-solving, interpretation, learning through experience and learning through reflection. Along with developing ideas, it emphasizes expressing them articulately and distinctively in speaking and writing.
The liberal arts curriculum is dynamic and incorporates emerging fields as well as interdisciplinary approaches to ideas, culture and human experience. A DePauw education asserts that developing a global perspective and an appreciation and tolerance for a more diverse society are vital for living in an increasingly interdependent world.
Since its founding by frontier Methodists, DePauw has sought to foster moral reflection and humane values among its students. Its strong tradition of service to humanity – whether in the Greencastle community or around the world – manifests its belief that moral engagement and civic responsibility should guide our actions and commitments.
DePauw is a place where world leaders discuss the issues of the day. Speakers on campus have included former President Bill Clinton; Soviet Union leader Mikhail Gorbachev; retired chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Colin L. Powell; former British Prime Ministers Tony Blair and Margaret Thatcher; anthropologist and conservationist Jane Goodall; former First Lady Barbara Bush; civil rights leaders Jesse Jackson and Julian Bond; Nobel Prize winners, including Holocaust writer Elie Weisel, Liberian women’s rights activist Leymah Gbowee, former South African President F. W. de Klerk, physicist Leon Lederman and DePauw alumnus Dr. Ferid Murad; journalists, including Carl Bernstein of Watergate-fame, Candy Crowley of CNN, Bernard Shaw of ABC News and George Will of the Washington Post; novelists, including Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winner Toni Morrison, Roger Wilkins and alumna Barbara Kingsolver; retired Apollo 13 astronaut James A. Lovell Jr.; and important voices in the marketplace of ideas, such as former Democratic National Committee Chair Howard Dean, advisor to President George W. Bush Karl Rove, Obama for America Campaign Manager David Plouffe, award-winning director and screenwriter Jason Reitman, educator and social critic Jonathan Kozol, and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author James B. Stewart, an alumnus.
It is a place for theater and debate, self-expression and self-understanding, art exhibits and musical recitals, student publications and media productions. As a residential college, DePauw fosters learning in how to build and govern a community. Students occupy many positions of responsibility in living units and campus organizations, and DePauw is deeply committed to realizing the ideals of civic responsibility in itself as a community. Among these ideals are the inclusion of diversity and respect for difference so that all can be members of the community without all being alike.
DePauw is a place for activity. Its variety of intercollegiate and intramural sports and recreation programs invites every student's participation and promotes an active, healthy life.
Finally, DePauw is a place where the intellect is challenged by experience. Through internships, off-campus study and research projects, DePauw students enrich the classroom with practice and application.
Much of DePauw's reputation for excellence can be attributed to the uncommon success of its alumni. DePauw graduates have distinguished themselves in the arts, business, education, government, journalism, law, medicine, music, science and many other fields.
DePauw University Mission Statement
DePauw University develops leaders the world needs through an uncommon commitment to the liberal arts.
DePauw's diverse and inclusive learning and living experience, distinctive in its rigorous intellectual engagement and its global and experiential learning opportunities, leads to a life of meaning and means. DePauw prepares graduates who support and create positive change in their communities and the world.
The Purpose and Aims of DePauw
(An institutional statement approved by the faculty.)
DePauw University stands today as a prime example of the independent liberal arts college which has served its state and nation in the best traditions of American educational institutions. It views the normal four-year period of college as a foundation for a lifetime of continued learning and growth. Therefore, while it stresses particular patterns of prevocational and pre-professional learning, it does so in the context of a commitment to an examination of values, a pursuit of heightened aptitude in critical thinking and the establishment of a sufficiently broad base of general learning to constitute a foundation for living with meaning as well as making a living.
DePauw reaffirms its commitment to academic excellence, growth in personal and social awareness and preparation for leadership.
The primary intellectual aims of the University are to seek and understand many truths and to educate the whole student.
Students who graduate from DePauw will:
1. Love learning and exude a commitment to continued learning throughout their lives.
2. Appreciate varied disciplinary and interdisciplinary methods for acquiring knowledge and demonstrate the ability to synthesize knowledge from multiple disciplines.
3. Understand and value artistic, cultural, and scientific achievements and the limits of those achievements, past and present.
4. Understand and appreciate cultures, languages and groups different than their own and regularly reflect on domestic and global issues of power, privilege and diversity.
5. Identify and solve well-defined and ill-defined problems both collaboratively and individually, and apply these skills to problems facing humanity.
6. Demonstrate competency with varied forms of data analysis including organizing, interpreting, and drawing conclusions from quantitative and qualitative information.
7. Demonstrate knowledge of technology and its implications in society and be able to leverage technology, where appropriate, for creative activities or innovative solutions to problems.
8. Develop capacities for clear, thorough, and independent thought that demonstrates the ability to analyze arguments on the basis of evidence and to understand the value and limitations of multiple types of evidence.
9. Clearly express their ideas and the ideas of others to varied audiences, both in writing and orally.
10. Engage in serious reflection on the moral and ethical aspects of situations and cultivate a commitment to act in the world for good.
11. Embrace healthy and sustainable living through self-reflection and commitment to cultivating positive relationships with others, and both the global and local environment.
12. Attain a deep understanding of a subject area to appreciate the value of depth of knowledge and to serve as a foundation for future learning.
* * *
These intentions shape the pattern of DePauw University's environment and direct its activities. Students and deans, staff and alumni, faculty and president are all members of a community whose governance they share. Ours is a residential campus with provision for a variety of student lifestyles; and because of its residential nature, students and faculty exchange ideas outside as well as within the classroom and seminar, and students have the benefit of experience in governing themselves and living with others.
The DePauw curriculum is designed to introduce students to basic methods and areas of inquiry; to develop their analytic abilities; to improve their skills in writing and speech; to broaden their perspectives on humanity and culture; to give them an understanding of the contemporary world and the human prospect for the next decades; to offer them intensive training and mastery of at least one subject area; to prepare them for future careers; and to afford them the foundation for more advanced and professional studies.
DePauw provides individual guidance to meet the particular educational and emotional needs of students and to assist them in identifying personal career preferences and possibilities. It seeks to conserve and develop physical health and has a tradition of athletic competition for men and women in a variety of intercollegiate and intramural sports, with an emphasis on participation and preparation for lifelong recreational pursuits. DePauw is a place of theatre and debate, of art exhibits and recitals, of publications and many other activities. Its honorary societies recognize academic excellence, leadership and outstanding achievement in special fields.
DePauw seeks to encourage in its students the capacity to ask hard and basic questions about the world, themselves and their commitments; to elicit a serious interest and a delight in ideas and books and works of art; to provide the intellectual setting for those who enter its community to become wise and humane persons; and to prepare them for a lifetime of service to the wider human community.
History of the University
DePauw University was founded in 1837. The original name, Indiana Asbury University, came from the first American bishop of the Methodist Episcopal church, Francis Asbury. At its conception, the school was to be an ecumenical institution of national stature. In fact, the college was "forever to be conducted on the most liberal principles, accessible to all religious denominations and designed for the benefit of our citizens in general."
Greencastle was the chosen site because the community worked diligently to raise $25,000--a huge sum in those days--to convince the Methodists to establish their college in the rough, frontier village. The General Assembly of the State of Indiana granted a charter for the establishment of the University on January 10, 1837, and the cornerstone of the first building was laid that year.
Three years later the first president, Matthew Simpson, a friend and counselor of Abraham Lincoln, was inaugurated, and the first college class graduated. Over several decades, the curriculum developed from a traditional classical one to a set of courses that included history, composition and the natural sciences.
From its humble beginnings of one professor and five students, Asbury College grew quickly, although many men left the University to fight for either the North or South during the Civil War. In 1867, with the strong support of the faculty and Board of Trustees, the college admitted a small group of women.
In 1870 the construction of East College began. Although it took several years to build, East College was and still is the centerpiece of the campus. During the economic hardships of the 1870s, businessman Washington C. DePauw and his family generously gave more than $600,000 to the University, and in appreciation the trustees authorized the change in name to DePauw University.
W. C. DePauw and his family took a special interest in the formation and progress of the School of Music, which was founded in 1884 and is one of the oldest in the country.
Two other benefactors have helped shape the history of DePauw. In 1919 Edward Rector gave $2.5 million for the establishment of the Rector Scholarship Fund. DePauw alumni Ruth Clark and Philip Forbes Holton gave a total of $128 million, and in 1999 the Holton Memorial Fund was established in order to provide scholarships to students of "high character and with academic and leadership potential." Both scholarship funds continue to make it possible for deserving students to pursue a DePauw education.
Indiana's first Phi Beta Kappa chapter is located at DePauw. Admittance is limited to students with high academic achievement. Strength in one field is not enough, as Phi Beta Kappa expects its members to show an interest and aptitude in a broad and well-rounded liberal arts education. Considerations of moral character and contributions to the community enter in, but the dominant factors are academic.
DePauw University boasts a number of other "firsts." It is home to the first sorority in the nation, Kappa Alpha Theta, established in 1870. The Alpha chapter of Alpha Chi Omega sorority was founded at DePauw.
DePauw students founded Sigma Delta Chi, a national journalistic honorary fraternity in 1909. It spread to other campuses and today is also known as The Society of Professional Journalists.
Other DePauw firsts include the first 10-watt college FM radio station in the country, WGRE-FM, which went on the air in 1949. DePauw's student-managed newspaper, The DePauw, is the oldest college newspaper in Indiana.
DePauw, under the leadership of its 21st president, launched “Bold & Gold 2027,” a five-year strategic plan aimed at strengthening the university’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences with a commitment to the new School of Business and Leadership as well as a Creative School. The plan will help DePauw create a model of a renewed liberal arts university for the 21st Century focusing on its distinguished faculty and an academically talented student body. Although the University has undergone many changes through the years, the sense of its history is still obvious on the campus and in its traditions.
The University or specific degree programs are accredited by:
- Higher Learning Commission
- University Senate of the United Methodist Church
- Committee on Professional Training of the American Chemical Society
- Indiana State Board of Education
- National Association of Schools of Music
Visitors are often struck by the beauty of the DePauw campus and the quality of its facilities. From the campus's historic centerpiece, East College, to its expanded Percy Lavon Julian Science & Mathematics Center, its Prindle Center for Ethics, Tenzer Technology Center, McDermond Center for Management & Entrepreneurship, Hubbard Center for Student Engagement and Pulliam Center for Contemporary Media, DePauw presents its community of learners with an unsurpassed environment, made all the more remarkable by its adjacent 520-acre Nature Park and trail system.
The AAAS House, located on Seminary Street, provides meeting, social space and kitchen facilities for the Association of African-American Students and its activities.
Asbury Hall is the north building in a quadrangle that includes Roy O. West Library and Harrison Hall. Asbury Hall provides classroom and office space for the departments and professors of education, English, philosophy, political science, sociology and anthropology. The Academic Resource Center is located on the first floor.
The Bartlett Alumni House, located on Seminary Street, is named for Dean Edward R. Bartlett, former professor in religious education and dean of the University from 1941 through 1947. Its renovation was made possible through a gift from James and Susan Bartelsmeyer Bartlett, both members of the class of 1966. James Bartlett is Dean Bartlett's grandson. The house, originally built in the 1880s, has served as a series of private residences, an Episcopal church, a former DePauw president's home, and the student affairs office. Bartlett Alumni House now serves as the home for the Center for Spiritual Life, which provides a sanctuary for Jewish and Muslim worship and a fellowship hall.
The boutique DePauw Inn has 55 rooms and suites, two restaurants – the Fluttering Duck and 24 West – conference facilities, including a banquet room with capacity for 350, an outdoor patio, a bright lobby with a fireplace, and a cozy reading area with a fireplace. Formerly the Walden Inn, the Inn was built in 1986 and acquired by the university in 2005, following a 19,000 square-foot expansion. Frequent musical performances are hosted at “the Duck”, including Jazz at the Duck featuring DePauw faculty, staff and student musicians.
The Eugene S. Pulliam Center for Contemporary Media, funded by a gift from the Pulliam family, houses all student media: The DePauw; WGRE-FM, the student-run 24-hour radio station; Midwestern Review, the campus literary magazine; and the Mirage, the DePauw yearbook. Also located in the media center are complete television production and broadcasting facilities – all available to students no matter what their major or class year. The Watson Forum is a 91-seat auditorium for live performances and talks that can also be broadcast on local cable television.
The DePauw University Nature Park, a 520-acre nature park just one-third mile west of campus. The park features nearly 10 miles of trails for walking, jogging, hiking and biking, a canoe launch, a campground and outdoor classrooms. The Manning Environmental Field Station, with lab space and attached greenhouses, opened in the Fall of 2005. The Ian and Mimi Rolland Welcome and Activities Center, which opened in the Spring of 2006, serves as a trailhead building for groups visiting the park.
Also located in the Nature Park are the Janet Prindle Institute for Ethics and the Bartlett Reflection Center. A generous gift from Janet W. Prindle '58 funded the construction of the facility that houses the Institute. Standing on the knoll of an old quarry site that is being reclaimed as an extension of the DePauw University campus, the Institute's beautiful natural setting provides an inspirational environment for gatherings to mine new veins of research, dialogue and teaching that probe the issues and concerns of ethical theory and practice. Adjacent to The Prindle Institute for Ethics, the Bartlett Reflection Center provides a place for individual and group reflections in a quiet, natural setting. The two buildings are joined by a series of waterfalls and streams of water. The Reflection Center complements the Institute by offering a space conducive to meditation and contemplation.
Many well-known speakers have given convocations in East College's Meharry Hall. The oldest building on campus and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, East College also provides classrooms and offices for the economics, classical studies, history and foreign language departments and is home to the Indiana Journalism Hall of Fame.
The William Weston Clarke Emison Building houses the Office of Admission and Financial Aid Offices, including interview rooms and resources for prospective students and their families. It is also home to the University’s Shidzuo Iikubo ’23 Asian Art Gallery and its Arthur E. Klauser Asian and World Community Collection, and a gallery for the Vandiver-Haimann Collection of African Art. Built in 1908 as the Andrew Carnegie Library, with a grant from the industrialist of $50,000 plus a subscription from donors of $57,000 for maintenance, the building served as DePauw’s main library until it was renamed in 2005 following a gift from Emison family to reflect DePauw’s commitment to the visual arts.
The Olin Biological Sciences Building, constructed with grant funding from the F.W. Olin Foundation, is designed for undergraduate research. In fact, there are more laboratories than classrooms, reflecting DePauw's view that participation in hands-on research is a crucial part of a young scientist’s education. The building features subject-area laboratories including physiology, cell biology, neuroscience, genetics, microbiology and ecology, and each faculty member has an individual laboratory to encourage collaborative research with students. Other features include a tissue culture facility, a climate-zone and computer-operated greenhouse, and the Buehler Biomedical Imaging Center, which houses numerous microscopy instruments, including a scanning electron microscope.
The Hollensteiner Indoor Tennis and Track Center opened in 2001 and is one of the finest indoor facilities in the country. Located west of Blackstock Stadium, the 300,000-square-foot center includes six tennis courts, a 200-meter track, batting cages for baseball and softball, golf nets, putting green and executive locker rooms for men and women (two each). It also can accommodate indoor soccer, football, field hockey and other sports. It allows students to exercise, participate and train in a variety of sports all year long. It is home to the first Solar Array mounted on the roof.
In addition to Roy O. West library (see below), Academic Quad includes John H. Harrison Hall, first build in 1938 and renovated in 2008, home to the classical studies, history, economics and psychology departments, and Asbury Hall, erected in 1938 and named after the pioneer Methodist bishop after whom the university itself was originally named upon its 1837 charter as Indiana Asbury University.
Athletics, Fitness, Health and Recreation.
The Buehler Health and Wellness Suites was opened in the Lilly Physical Education and Recreation Center, with a Buehler Family Foundation gift, in April 2020. The suites are home to DePauw Health, powered by Hendricks Regional Health, and DePauw Counseling Services. The new facility is central to campus and accessible, while prioritizing client privacy and confidentiality, and includes individual exam, therapy and training rooms – with separate exam rooms for students and employees/dependents – plus a nurses’ station and procedure room, private and group counseling spaces, and educational programming spaces.
A gift from the Eli Lilly family made possible the Lilly Physical Education and Recreation Center, home to men's and women's intercollegiate athletics, intramurals, kinesiology department classrooms and offices, leisure-time sports, concerts and intercollegiate athletic contests. Neal Fieldhouse, with its multi-use surface, provides space for three basketball courts, seven volleyball courts, eight badminton courts, and press box. The fieldhouse may be divided into three separate areas to isolate activities. It seats a maximum of 2,000. A separate dance studio provides space for aerobics, dancercise, jazzercise, slimnastics and ballet events. The 5,600-square-foot Welch Fitness Center and weight room addition to the Lilly Center offers state-of-the-art exercise equipment and free weights designed to meet the needs of the DePauw community. A hardwood court for racquetball and handball is on the ground level. There is also a golf simulator located on the ground floor. The swimming pool is 25-yards by 25-meters, offering eight competition lanes and two one-meter and one three-meter diving boards.
Additional athletics facilities include Reavis Stadium (field hockey, men’s and women’s lacrosse, men’s and women’s soccer), Boswell Field (soccer), Walker Field (baseball) and a women's softball field built in 1997. Blackstock Stadium and Nick Mourouzis Field (football, track and field) underwent a major renovation in 1997, including the addition of new locker rooms and sports medicine facilities; in 2013 a new all-weather track was installed with long jump/triple jump/pole vault runways and a high jump venue; in 2017 the press box was renovated. The Hollensteiner Indoor Tennis and Track Center opened in 2001 and is one of the finest indoor facilities in the country. The 300,000-square-foot center includes six tennis courts, a 200-meter track, batting cages for baseball and softball, golf nets, putting green and executive locker rooms for men and women (two each). It also can accommodate indoor soccer, football, field hockey and other sports. It allows students to exercise, participate and train in a variety of sports all year long and boasts DePauw’s first Solar Array mounted on the roof.
The Memorial Student Union Building is a three-story structure erected through memorial contributions honoring former students who died in World War II. The Union serves as a social center for the campus and the Greencastle community and provides students a place for recreational opportunities, cultural programs, social events and meetings. In 2016, the Union Building underwent significant renovation to Student Life and Student Government on the basement level, as well as student mail room; the Student Living Room, Ballroom, Ubben Lounge, and Convenience Store on the main floor; and the Student Academic Life offices on the second floor. The building also houses three major university centers:
- The Robert C. McDermond Center for Management & Entrepreneurship, which houses the Management Fellows program and provides entrepreneurship and business-readiness programs, networking opportunities, leadership experiences, and skills training and certifications.
- The Kathryn F. Hubbard Center for Student Engagement, where students can connect their academic experience to off-campus study away or abroad, internships, and career services/development opportunities, plus on-campus employment, and resources to continue their education at graduate and professional schools.
- The Grover L. Hartman Center for Civic Education and Leadership, established in 1995, which serves as a connector between the campus and community and provides administrative office space, meeting rooms and work spaces for DePauw's student volunteer and leadership service programs, including Winter Term in Service, DePauw Community Services and the Bonner Scholars Program. Hartman was a 1935 graduate of DePauw and a Methodist layperson who spent his life as an advocate for a multitude of social, political and economic causes.
The Justin and Darrianne Christian Center for Diversity and Inclusion opened in November 2017. The Christians, both 1995 graduates of DePauw, funded the facility in support of DePauw’s institutional commitment to diversity and inclusion. It houses the Dorothy Brown Cultural Resource Center, International Student Services, and supports student identity-affinity organizations for group meetings and programmatic offerings. Its flexible space is used for mentoring, classes, study groups and various social programs by members of the DePauw community.
McKim Observatory is located about one-half mile from campus. Built in 1884 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the building houses two telescopes and other original equipment still in regular use.
Ubben Quadrangle residence halls (named for 1958 DePauw graduates and benefactors Timothy H. and Sharon W. Ubben) include Lucy Rowland and Mason Halls and Rector Village, a group of seven suite-style residence halls (Chabraja, Holmberg, Leis, Montgomery, Reese, Strasma and Warne) constructed near the former location of Rector Hall, which was built in 1917 and damaged beyond repair in a fire on April 7, 2002. The South Quadrangle residence halls are Bishop Roberts, Longden, Humbert and a newly built first-year residence hall in 2020. Bloomington Street Hall was renovated in 2019. For upperclass students, additional university-owned residences include a number of Greek houses, Senior Hall, Rector Village, and autonomous-living apartments/houses/duplexes in neighborhoods adjacent to campus. Anderson Street Hall now houses residence life offices.
The Percy Lavon Julian Science & Mathematics Center is named for the 1920 DePauw alumnus known as "America's greatest black chemist." It houses classrooms, laboratories and offices of the chemistry, computer science, geoscience, mathematics, and physics and astronomy departments. Also located in the center is the Prevo Science Library, containing books, periodicals, electronic resources and a personal computer laboratory; Information Services; a technology suite, featuring four computing laboratories and a Geographic Information System laboratory; and an 80-seat auditorium. Rededicated on November 1, 2003, following a $36-million renovation and expansion project, the Julian Center includes 17 technology-enhanced classrooms with high-speed networked computers, video, DVD and wired student stations; seven computer classrooms; computer-equipped rooms; and technology support for the campus. The east entrance opens into a three-story atrium that features abundant study spaces with wired and wireless access to the University network and Internet
Dedicated to the teaching, creation, and display of art, DePauw’s 80,000 square-foot Richard E. Peeler Art Center, designed by internationally-acclaimed architect Carlos Jiménez, is a world-class facility featuring three spacious galleries/exhibition spaces, a 90-seat auditorium with state-of-the-art acoustics, high-tech seminar rooms for classes, galleries, computer labs for graphic design and digital video, studio space for ceramics, sculpture, painting, drawing, digital art, and photography facilities. The building also houses offices for faculty and staff in the Departments of Art and Art History.
The Judson and Joyce Green Center for the Performing Arts, a $29 million project, provides new facilities for the School of Music and the Department of Communication and Theatre, including music faculty studios, practice rooms, ensemble rehearsal spaces, recording studios, music instructional technology facilities, library facilities, a dance studio, an acting studio, new classrooms for communication, theatre and music. The music and library spaces opened in Fall 2007 and the communication and theatre spaces in Fall 2008.
Roy O. West Library provides a variety of study spaces and group study rooms; contains a collection of more than 319,000 books, 1,500 periodical subscriptions and 12,000 audiovisual titles; provides campus-wide access to 475 electronic titles; distributes video and cable TV throughout campus, including faculty-assigned viewing and popular TV channels; holds the oldest U.S. government depository in the state of Indiana with thousands of rare, original documents; features Café Roy, a collaborative social and learning area; provides individual research assistance and course-based instruction; and houses a computer laboratory. Faculty Instructional Technology Support (FITS) also is located in Roy O. West Library. Archives and Special Collections houses unique historical records of the University, Indiana United Methodism and the Society for Professional Journalists as well as rare books and alumni publications. Plans are underway for a $30 million expansion and renovation.
There are three branch libraries. The Music Library, located on the lower level of the Performing Arts Center, contains a collection of approximately 41,000 volumes, including musical scores and parts, books on music, sound recordings, videotapes, CD-ROMs and online databases. It features in-house audio listening facilities, including two private studio/listening rooms. The library collection for most of the science areas is located in the Prevo Science Library, on the first and lower levels of the Percy Lavon Julian Science & Mathematics Center. It provides access to online indexes and abstracts and a variety of study areas. The Visual Resources Center, on the second floor of the Richard E. Peeler Art Center, includes 75,000 art and architecture slides, as well as an image database.
Formerly an abandoned house, the Robert G. Bottoms Alumni and Development Center, with its expansive columned porch overlooking Burkhardt Walk entrance to campus, was dedicated in 2018 as a gathering place for visiting alumni and home to the Division of Development and Alumni Engagement staff. The Center, named after former president Robert “Bob” Bottoms, who led the university from 1986-2008, was designed in keeping with the Georgian architecture of the former home, and features a front and central patio, meeting and reception spaces, warm and welcoming seating areas, and a kitchen for on-site catering.
The Studebaker Administration Building provides offices for the University president, , vice president for finance and administration, as well as the registrar, accounting, cash receipts and human resources offices.
The Women's Center, opened in September 2004 on Hanna Street, serves as a resource center for students, faculty, staff, and the Greencastle community interested in and acting on behalf of women's issues at DePauw.
The R. David and Suzanne A. Hoover Hall, opened in 2016,is a modern, spacious, brightly lit facility that houses several meeting rooms in addition to the open and airy main student dining hall. James G. Stewart Plaza, with its lovely fountains and outdoor seating, sits between Hoover Hall and the Memorial Student Union and links the two popular facilities.
The new Ullem Center for Sustainability and Campus Farm opened May 2019 as the hub of sustainability education and programming, engagement in sustainable agriculture and environmentally friendly land use, plus volunteer opportunities for students, staff and faculty, including 12 acres of surrounding property for food growth and production – 90 percent of which is sold to DePauw’s dining services and 10 percent of which is donated to local food pantries -- an outdoor classroom area, and a stunning building with a spacious, flexible interior equipped with resource-saving systems that demonstrate ways to enhance environmental quality.
The 101 E Seminary Building, across from the DePauw Inn, houses the Offices of Communications and Marketing, including a photo/video studio, and the DePauw Police.