DISCOVER HOW YOU WILL MAKE YOUR IMPACT
How do you envision changing the world? Your DePauw education will prepare you to make an impact wherever you go, but what will you do now–as a member of our community? Every year hundreds of DePauw students choose to participate in at least one of the many student-led volunteer programs that make up DePauw Community Service (DCS).
Choose from over 20 programs focused on mentorship with local youth, tutoring/educational programming, relationship building, and other community initiatives throughout Putnam County.
- Big Brother/Big Sisters: Get paired with a “Little” brother or sister and spend time each week doing homework, playing games, and building a strong one on one relationship.
- Head Start: Play with preschool aged children, assist at mealtimes, and help staff with learning activities or be a bus monitor and make the children's bus ride an enjoyable experience.
- JumpstART: Connect Putnam County youth grades K-5 to different types of art movements, styles and artists in a fun and engaging way.
- Knoy After-School Tutoring: Serve the Cloverdale Community School Corporation through literacy development and social skill enhancement.
- Spanish Enrichment Programs: Expose elementary school students to basic Spanish language skills. Work with 2nd graders at Ridpath Primary School or 3rd-5th graders at Tzouanakis Elementary School.
- Student Friend: Serve as a mentor and friend each week to an elementary or middle school student at one of six local schools.
- Sports Night: Engage Putnam County youth in sports-related activities to foster a fun environment for teaching athletic skills and value of being a team player.
- TALKS Mentoring: Mentor middle school students to encourage their personal commitments to integrity and excellence in the pursuit of life paths, in partnership with Gobin Memorial United Methodist Church.
- Tot's Time: Engage children, newborn to five years old, in games and other activities at this free service offered through a partnership between Putnam County Family Support Service and Gobin Memorial United Methodist Church.
- YMCA After-School Program: Assist YMCA staff in an after-school program where children are helped with homework, tutored in math and reading, and encouraged to enjoy new experiences with friends.
- Asbury Tower Senior Friend: Develop individual friendships with senior citizens or assist with group activities at Asbury Towers retirement home and nursing facilities.
- Humane Society of Putnam County: Support our local animal shelter by helping with various tasks including cleaning cages and walking/playing with dogs and cats.
- Rescued Treasures: Assist in organizing inventory, stocking shelves, and greeting customers at this thrift store whose proceeds support the Humane Society in Putnam County.
- Non-Food Pantry: Assist with monthly distributions of non-food necessities including toiletry and other hygiene products to Putnam County families at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in Greencastle.
- Castle Arts: Help facilitate a Castle workshop at Putnam County schools. The Castle partners with teachers to provide engaging project-based learning workshops.