May or Winter Term off-campus study project with an anthropological theme.
Winter Term informationAngela Castaneda
183AA: Public Health, Community and Culture in Cuba (off-campus)
In this course, students will become integrated in the local community and have the opportunity to experience health care delivery and culture in Cuba. Topics and activities may include:
- training health professionals for the world's underserved communities
- visiting the Latin American Medical School (ELAM) to exchange with US medical students and faculty
- visiting a community polyclinic and neighborhood family doctor-nurse office to talk with health care providers
- visiting a biotech pharmaceutical company
- maternal-child health programs
- elderly day centers: a continuous learning opportunity
- art and music in Havana communities.
This is just a glimpse of what you will be able to see in Cuba. Students will have the opportunity to live with host families, meet people from all walks of life, and see how health interfaces with the environment, education, and culture in Havana, Cuba.
For more information on program costs and how to apply for the program, paste this URL into your web browser:
Enter "Winter" into the Term search box.