Masking in campus buildings is now recommended but no longer required for fully vaccinated individuals.
Per Dr. White's email on August 9, in all indoor situations, masks remain required for unvaccinated individuals except when in the privacy of your own space.
Masks with valves are not allowed, and multi-ply or surgical masks are recommended. For more information about mask wearing, Dr. Harsha has shared these tips.
There will be some spaces, events and situations where masks will be required of everyone, such as:
- During move-in: All students, employees, guests, and move-in helpers, regardless of vaccination status, will be required to mask indoors during move-in activities including moving into residences. We are also requiring masking for all participants and guests for first-year student opening convocation and other indoor opening day activities. A revised plan for convocation is under development.
- At large indoor gatherings: Masking is required at all large indoor gatherings (50 or more) regardless of vaccination status.
- During classes and similar academic activities: Masking is required during all classes, labs, studios and similar instructor-led activities that take place indoors regardless of vaccination status unless, for pedagogical reasons, an instructor decides that masks should be recommended and not required for the faculty member (if vaccinated) and/or for vaccinated students. Faculty should note if masks will be recommended and not required, for vaccinated students, on their syllabus and students will always have the option to continue wearing masks.
- when a contract for a special guest (i.e., a performing artist) requires it.
- in our health center, as per local, state and federal recommendations.
- for return-to-campus protocols as outlined in a previous Restart Team email.
- when an individual requests or requires visitors to wear a mask in their own personal office or living space.
These recommendations and requirements will be updated as new information about the virus develops and we monitor and evaluate data. (last updated 8.27.2021)