Richard E. Peeler Art Center
Designed by the internationally-acclaimed architect, Carlos Jiménez, professor at Rice University's School of Architecture, the Richard E. Peeler Art Center opened its doors in August, 2002 and was later dedicated during a ceremony October 11, 2002. The Peeler Art Center features three spacious, state-of-the-art galleries.
The galleries host approximately twelve exhibitions annually featuring the work of students and faculty as well as regionally and internationally acclaimed artists. The Peeler Art Center's large windows that welcome in light and its functional space is optimal for the teaching, creation and presentation of art. Included among the Peeler Art Center's 80,000 square feet are a large exhibition space; a 90-seat auditorium with state-of-the-art acoustics, designed for public events, films and recitals; classroom and studio space for pottery, sculpture, painting and photography; and offices for the art department faculty. The building is the first in DePauw's history to be dedicated to the teaching, creation and display of art.
The building is named for Richard E. Peeler, a 1949 graduate of DePauw. Peeler returned to his alma mater in 1958 to teach ceramics, sculpture and photography. He retired in 1972, and with his wife and partner, Marj, worked as a full-time potter in Putnam County until his death in 1998.