Show More


Living in community means we care about the people around us and have the obligation to look out for one another.

It is common for students to face a variety of challenges - academic, personal, spiritual, and emotional - during their time on campus. The CARE Team assists student directly and helps faculty, staff, friends, and parents as they support students who may be facing difficult situations, working through an unusually hard time, or whose behavior may be of concern to others.

The CARE Team is a multidisciplinary campus committee that includes representatives from Student Academic Life, the Dean of Students' Office, Counseling Services and Student Disability Services. Please contact Student Academic Life or a Class Dean if you are needing an additional copy of the Faculty & Staff Guide to Supporting Students.  

If you have a concern but do not know where to start, general concerns about students can be reported to the Office of Student Academic Life (765-658-4270) for referral to a Class Dean or other resource, or directly to the appropriate Class Dean. 

Urgent and time-sensitive concerns should be reported to the Office of Student Academic Life at 765-658-4270. Emergencies should be reported to Public Safety at 765-658-5555 or to 911. Please do not delay in seeking assistance.


Myrna Hernandez (Dean of Students, convener) Yug Gill  (Campus Living & Community Development)
Trevor Yuhas (Counseling Services) Sarah Ryan (Women's Center)
Kevin Hamilton (Campus Living & Community Development) Charlene Shrewsbury (Public Safety) 
Aicha Konte (Assistant Director for Intervention Programs) Cindy Babington (Presidential Staff) 

Examples of behaviors to share with the Office of Student Academic Life or a Class Dean could include: 

Missing class for an extended period of time Appearing or being extremely down or depressed Significant anxiety
Prolonged physical health issues Potential or actual alcohol or drug abuse Change in behavior, such as becoming withdrawn
Unusual or difficulty transitioning from high school to DePauw Poor academic preparation Failing, or in danger or failing a course
Consistently sleeping in class Being disruptive in class Other behaviors that are causing concern

How should I respond when a student is disrupting my class?

For other inappropriate behavior that does not involve physical violence, consult the classroom atmosphere policy in the Academic Handbook. Faculty members should warn the student in writing that the behavior is unacceptable. If the disruption continues, stronger measures may be needed. Consult with Dave Berque, Associate Vice President for Student Academic Life and Dean of Academic Life at 765-658-6267.

What should I do is a student comes to me with a personal concern that worries me?

A faculty or staff member is often the first person in whom a student confides. When a student shares a personal concern with you, do not promise confidentiality. More often than not, you will need to pass on the information to someone else or involve others in assisting the student. Rather, assure the student of their privacy, meaning you will only share information with others if necessary. It is important in respecting the student’s privacy that you not share information among colleagues, but with the appropriate staff who can help you support the student. It is also important to remember your limitations. While some of our staff and faculty members have extensive training in responding to student concerns, most of us are not licensed counselors and should not attempt to act as such. Never hesitate to seek consultation from staff members in the Office of Student Academic Life. We welcome your calls.

What if that personal concern involves sexual assault or sexual harassment?

If a student or colleague shares with you that they have been victim of sexual violence or sexual harassment, your first step is to ensure that person is referred to campus and/or local resources. Next, you are legally obligated to report incidents of sexual violence or sexual harassment to the Title IX coordinator or campus law enforcement, unless you are designated a confidential source by the University. Confidentiality has a particular legal meaning and only a handful of DePauw employees are designated as confidential including health care providers (medical doctors, licensed counselors) and ordained clergy providing pastoral care. DePauw Sexual Assault Survivor Advocates (SASAs) and advocates from Family Support Services also have limited confidentiality. While you cannot promise confidentiality, you can assure the person disclosing to you that you will respect their privacy. Please inform the student that you are obligated to report the concern to the Title IX Coordinator. Often this is enough to allay their concerns.

If a student shares with you that they have been accused of violating the sexual misconduct policy, they should be connected to a campus advisor. The Office of Student Academic Life and the Title IX Office have resource materials and trained staff who can answer many of your questions and provide assistance. Renee Madison, the Title IX Coordinator, can be reached at 765-658-4914.

Financial hardships

If students confide in you about difficulty purchasing books, refer them to the Financial Aid Office (765-658-4030). There is a book purchasing procedure between Financial Aid and Eli’s Books. For difficulties with tuition costs, refer students to the Financial Aid Office to discuss possible loan options or to the Business Office (765-658-4015) to discuss payment plans. If a student has an emergency expense and needs assistance, refer them to the Office of Student Academic Life to inquire about a short-term emergency loan.

Illness & Injury

For illness or injury, students may visit DePauw Health (first floor of Hogate Hall) for student health services. Health Services is staffed by a medical doctors and other medical staff from Hendricks Regional Health. Hours for students can be accessed on their webpage. Outside of office hours, on-call staff may be contacted for emergencies through Public Safety.

Emotional challenges & mental health

If a student confides an emotional challenge to you – depression, anxiety, substance abuse, eating disorder, or other mental health concerns – suggest scheduling an appointment to see a counselor at Counseling Services (765-658-4268). If you would like to consult with a counselor about a student, call Counseling Services during business hours (Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.). After hours (evening, weekend) support for students is available by calling the office line, where they will be transferred to the clinician on-call. Be aware that Counseling Services cannot verify whether or not a student has sought counseling. If your concerns about a student continue, and you want to make sure the student is getting appropriate help, you should contact the Office of Student Academic Life.

If I refer a student to the Wellness Center for any reason, can I call to learn if they attended?

No. Information regarding a student’s use of Counseling or Health Services is confidential. The services at DePauw Health and with Counseling Services cannot confirm or deny that any student is using or has used services. Additionally, DePauw Health and Counseling Services do not write notes for students regarding missed classes. Students are expected to communicate with their instructors about making up work if they have been sick. Class Deans and other Student Academic Life staff members will sometimes share information about a student with faculty and staff members.

Academic challenges & Additional student resources

The Office of Student Academic Life can answer questions about University policies concerning attendance, missed assignments, final exams, grade complaints, academic integrity violations, general academic assistance (study skills, organizational skills, test anxiety, note taking, learning styles, etc.), and other academic issues or concerns. If you have a student who is not meeting attendance expectations, please use the Alerts system in SSC. Complete instructions for using this alert can be found here.

The Academic Resource Center (ARC) in Asbury Hall includes the Speaking and Listening Center, Writing Center, and Quantitative Reasoning Center. Each center has trained student consultants who work one-on-one with their peers.

Academic Success services include a part-time Academic Coach, Marian Abowitz. She is available for individual consultations to help student develop individualized strategies in the areas of study skill development, time management, goal setting, and learning strategies. In addition, the Academic Success Peer Tutors are available to provide peer tutoring on these and similar topics. For more information visit the Academic Success page

Student Disability Services (SDS) assists students seeking accommodations for documented disabilities and can also assist students in exploring the documentation process should they suspect they have a disability. Students needing assistance with temporary impairments (i.e. concussion, broken leg, surgery), can seek temporary impairment accommodations through SDS. For students with documented health conditions, SDS can assist both the student and faculty member in navigating topics such as attendance, assignment deadlines, and course expectations. Please call SDS for questions or guidance (765-658-6267).

International Student Services offers academic and social support to DePauw’s international students (765-658-4850). For English language support contact the Office of Student Academic Life.

For students seeking support concerning bias-related incidents, please direct them to the Bias Incident Response Hotline (765-658-6641) or Student Academic Life (Union Building, Suite 210 or 765-658-4270).

Students who have personal or family immigration concerns and need assistance with academic issues, financial aid or other University issues should contact Aliza Frame in her role as student immigration advocate.